ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-01-2012   #1
WARP TEN

Default Do I have to pull my antenna motor now?

I broke my antenna the other day, clipped off the offending part and crimped the remainder to keep the nylon ribbon up. Bought a mast replacement and as I was getting ready to fix it, turned the radio on and off and the nylon ribbon slipped out and got sucked into the motor. Turned on the radio again but that does not get it to come out. Am I now doomed to remove the antenna motor and repalce it out of the car? Or is there some way to fish it out from the top? If I have to remove it any simpler way than the proscribed method in the manual? I have looked at the solutions sections but they seem to be mostly mast replacement unless I looked in the wrong place. Thanks, Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Do I have to pull my antenna motor now?

Removing the antenna is not difficult.

It's held on with 2 8mm bolts, undo those from the bottom, then it pops out of the grommet in the rear quarter panel. The bracket, which mounts to the flange where the rear bumper cover meets the rear quarter panel, can stay in place, or if you wish to remove it for better access, it's held on with 2 10mm nuts.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #3
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Removing the antenna is not difficult.

It's held on with 2 8mm bolts, undo those from the bottom, then it pops out of the grommet in the rear quarter panel. The bracket, which mounts to the flange where the rear bumper cover meets the rear quarter panel, can stay in place, or if you wish to remove it for better access, it's held on with 2 10mm nuts.
Thanks, bolt sizes are helpful. It looks like the motor has a rubber cover over it. Does this come off or are bolts visible if I look harder? I will take another look at it soon although I have to get through my daughter's wedding this Friday before I can get back to more meaningful pursuits :-) --Bob
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 08-01-2012   #4
scottfab

There are no pictures on this one but might help.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/antenna.htm

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #5
GOLDCYLON

You do not need to pull the motor. Re reading your post I see that you may have already bought a remast kit. Chances are the mast remainder was ground to a pulp when it went back inside. Try the remast remove the top nut with the tool. If I was a betting man it will work.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #6
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
There are no pictures on this one but might help.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/antenna.htm
Thanks Scott--That looks like a useful article. Hadn't read it before.
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 08-01-2012   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I broke my antenna the other day, clipped off the offending part and crimped the remainder to keep the nylon ribbon up. Bought a mast replacement and as I was getting ready to fix it, turned the radio on and off and the nylon ribbon slipped out and got sucked into the motor. Turned on the radio again but that does not get it to come out. Am I now doomed to remove the antenna motor and repalce it out of the car? Or is there some way to fish it out from the top? If I have to remove it any simpler way than the proscribed method in the manual? I have looked at the solutions sections but they seem to be mostly mast replacement unless I looked in the wrong place. Thanks, Bob
I had a similar situation and when I tried to feed the replacement mast ribbon it would not retract completely. So, I removed the antenna, flipped the rubber cover over and the two halves of the housing was joined by long plastic tab slipped through the other half and roulded off.
I disassembled the mast assmble then ground off the plastic tab so the two halves can be separated. Turned out the broken ribbon lodged in the white (translucent? can't remember) drum was not allowing the ribbon to spool completely.
I ground off the plastic tab completely so that I can use sheet metal screws to re-join two halves, reattach the mast housing, reconnected electrical and had my wife turn the radio on then off. As soon as the motor engaged per off signal, I fed the new mast ribbon until the mast retracted completely. Close up the top w/ the nut and cycled on and off to make sure of proper operation.
After that, it's just a matter of reinstalling the antenna.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #8
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I had a similar situation and when I tried to feed the replacement mast ribbon it would not retract completely. So, I removed the antenna, flipped the rubber cover over and the two halves of the housing was joined by long plastic tab slipped through the other half and roulded off.
I disassembled the mast assmble then ground off the plastic tab so the two halves can be separated. Turned out the broken ribbon lodged in the white (translucent? can't remember) drum was not allowing the ribbon to spool completely.
I ground off the plastic tab completely so that I can use sheet metal screws to re-join two halves, reattach the mast housing, reconnected electrical and had my wife turn the radio on then off. As soon as the motor engaged per off signal, I fed the new mast ribbon until the mast retracted completely. Close up the top w/ the nut and cycled on and off to make sure of proper operation.
After that, it's just a matter of reinstalling the antenna.
Right now I still have about six inches of mast sticking up without any ribbon inside, and it won't go either down or up but the radio reception is fine. Since I will be bringing my car back to Marc H this winter for a few things, I think I will just leave it for the time being and let him pop in my replacement mast then. In the meantime, I topped it off with a tiny rubber cap painted chrome and it looks like I planned it this way. --Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member