ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-02-2012   #11
VetteMed

Default Re: 40 psi fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Next month as in September? If so when? I can come up on a weekend if I know in advance so I can cover my side job.

You have my phone number still? Call me so we can set something up Steve! Road Trip!
Great offer, Tom!
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #12
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Great offer, Tom!
Thanks Andrew! We have to stick together!

Hey Steve, the only things I don't have are injectors, but i do have fuel pumps. Although they came from my Delphi replacement pump assembly, but you're welcome to them.....I have all the gaskets needed for the job in stock!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #13
efnfast

Tom, first weekend of Sept. I go to North Carolina. Doesn't have to be in the 'vette.
I've had the same "was that a miss" on a couple of occations. Sign of injectors?
Fuel pumps would be in the budget, injectors not at this point. Seems like a lot of work for you Tom to come up to do a simple job like pumps. Altought we could get the guns out to make it worth the trip.
I have nothing committed on any weekend until we go to NC.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #14
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Scott, I love it when I start the car when it's dead cold. Hit the key and it roars right to life. When it's warm on a restart, it does crank quit a bit.
My considered opinion is that you'd make the 1600mi trip ok. Minimally I'd get the pumps ordered and take them with you. If your not sure about the filter do it too. I'd take one thing at a time and I'd leave the injectors for last.

FILTER: (low $) (time 1-1.5hr)
If you do take on the filter give yourself 20-30min to jack as stabilize the car. (you know finding everything and all) Then another 30 to 45 min to piss around with getting the filter cover off and the special disconnects on the filter undone (you do have the special little disconnect tools for this right?)

PUMPS: (fairly low $) (time allow 4hr)
These will take you 2-3 hours on your first go round. Take your time. You're dealing with lots of fuel in the tank. Here's my way of doing it:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Old_Proj/old_proj11.htm

INJECTORS: (not low $)
(time allow a full day cause your going to want to clean out the "V" while you're in there)

Early on in 98 I had my first experience with a leaking injector. I ended up taking them all out and setting up my own cleaning station. For safety I used just water to clean them. Water is a fairly good solvent for most anything. It just takes longer but it's safe. I rigged an amplified pulse generator to drive the injectors etc. I did a series of pattern (before/after) studies on the cleaned injectors. Each of the stock injectors has a six point pattern. All was well for the next year but then I got another one sticking open. Turns out both the "pentil" design and material used are not the greatest. There not stainless steel. At that time the RC Lucas injectors were the best replacements. They're both non pentil type (rotory) and stainless. I replaces all 16 with stock flow RC injectors and have had no problems now in 14yrs. I see there are other injectors available now so you need to do your homework.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote