ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 07-23-2012   #1
rhipsher

Default Spending money but not on the Z.

Guy's after tearing the carpet out of my 2,200 sq ft home, we've been walking on concrete floors for two years. And are tired of it. So last weekend I figured it's way over do to start accumulating ceramic tile, Thinset and mortar to get this project started. I'll be tiling 1,000 sqft of the house which is the formal dinning room, Living room, Kitchen and hall way. My computer room/study and all three bedrooms I've already installed wood flooring in. And my wife did the computer room all by herself. She did a great job. Still not sure what I'm going to do as far as the bathroom floors are concerned. And my ZR-1 buddy Luis is going to help me knock it out. My house looks great from the outside. But the inside looks like a construction zone right now. Anyway this is the tile I chose. 20" X 20". $1.19 a square foot. It's going to look awesome when it's done.

Cat approved. "Stupid cat wouldn't move".
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Spending money but not on the Z.

Very nice. I laid down similar 20" tile in a house I used to own. Total of about 1300sf, on a diagonal, continuous run through bedrooms/living/dining/kitchen (no breaks or thresholds between rooms). Very time consuming but looked great in the end.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #3
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Very nice. I laid down similar 20" tile in a house I used to own. Total of about 1300sf, on a diagonal, continuous run through bedrooms/living/dining/kitchen (no breaks or thresholds between rooms). Very time consuming but looked great in the end.
I plan on doing tile borders along the wall. And instead of thresholds from the tile to the wood floors I have some cool ideas on how they will transition into each other. After the flooring is done next will be granite counter tops. My living room and kitchen are an open floor plan so there's no walls separating them. I have way more kitchen counter top space and cabinets then I'll ever use. The longest counter top in my kitchen measures 18 feet 6 inches long. I mean dude you could play slot cars on it seriously. We have 48" cabinets that are half empty and we have more dishes and cookware than a four person family needs and they are still half empty. So it's going to take allot of granit to cover the counter tops and island. I'll deal with that later though.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2012   #4
vilant

After re-modeling 3 houses, I've done a lot of tile. Started with plain grid patterns, but now I've been mixing it up. These are my kitchen, bathroom, and basement. They turned out great, it's a lot more eye catching when you mix patterns.
floor 001.jpg

floor 002.jpg

floor 003.jpg
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #5
VetteMed

Nice work, Joe!
Old 07-23-2012   #6
John Boothby

About 6 years ago I tore up my carpet and replaced it with what looks and sounds like the same stuff you have. Seven days after the tile was completed, my wife fell and hit her head on the tile. Our life has not been the same since! She has memory problems and dizziness to the point that she has a hard time walking. She also has coordination problems to the point that I must do almost everything for her. If you are over 50 I would never never put tile down! Just my sorry-a.. story!! Good luck with your's.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #7
rhipsher

To me the pros of tile far out weigh the cons. Carpet harbors dust and gives me allergies. Especially pet hair. Spill grape juice or red wine on it you'll never get the stains out. Tiles cool on my feet. Easy tor take care of and easy to clean. I love it. I had beautiful burbur carpet when my house was first built. But after having little ones and dogs and cats and all of the accidents that go alone with that I decided carpent was just a pain in the azz. In fact I don't know anybody that wants carpet anymore. Now Im a clean freak like my mother before me. And we can be very difficult people to live with. Lets just say my family didn't quite share my passion to implement the 5 S program in the home. Lol! My wife and mother inlaw would clean the kitchen after dinner and I'd come in behind them and fine tune clean what they missed. Boy you want to see to women get ticked off boy let me tell you. What! We don't you clean good enough for you or what? You guys do alright! Let me just get this over hear. Ah! Thats better. Hahahaha! But at the ripe old age of 42 I've chilled out quite a bit.
Old 07-23-2012   #8
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
To me the pros of tile far out weigh the cons. Carpet harbors dust and gives me allergies. Especially pet hair. Spill grape juice or red wine on it you'll never get the stains out. Tiles cool on my feet. Easy tor take care of and easy to clean. I love it. I had beautiful burbur carpet when my house was first built. But after having little ones and dogs and cats and all of the accidents that go alone with that I decided carpent was just a pain in the azz. In fact I don't know anybody that wants carpet anymore. Now Im a clean freak like my mother before me. And we can be very difficult people to live with. Lets just say my family didn't quite share my passion to implement the 5 S program in the home. Lol! My wife and mother inlaw would clean the kitchen after dinner and I'd come in behind them and fine tune clean what they missed. Boy you want to see to women get ticked off boy let me tell you. What! We don't you clean good enough for you or what? You guys do alright! Let me just get this over hear. Ah! Thats better. Hahahaha! But at the ripe old age of 42 I've chilled out quite a bit.
Agree there -- not on being a neat freak (I'm not), but on the pros of tile. In a warm climate, the tile is always cool. With dogs in the house, it's nice to have a smooth easily-cleaned surface in most of the rooms. And I love the style of large high-quality porcelain tile.

I can see the argument for having carpet in a bedroom, walking barefoot and all, but I still vote for tile nonetheless.
Old 07-24-2012   #9
USAFPILOT

I like carpet in the bedrooms, but hard floors everywhere else. My two year old doesn't like busting her face on the hard floor as much as the carpet though. I guess she will learn fast.

My tile is done like the third pic down in the post above and I think it looks cool; could be worth trying in your house.

Is luis bringing his Z over...maybe we should have a reunion?
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #10
rhipsher

I don't know if he is. It will be the first time in two years I've seen him. Hell I havent seen you in a long time either. You keep moving further and further away from me. One of these days Ive got to get out there and check out your new house.