ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-19-2012   #21
tomtom72

Default Re: UNABLE TO SCAN ENGINE CODES

Just a note about the operational capability concerning different make scanners:

The reason most of us look for the Vertronix ( now owned by Bosch? ) Tech 1 or Tech 1A machines is that they were specifically intended for use at GM dealerships. Now, the most important part of the tool is the software library that came with it! If you look at the DTC diagnostic flow charts in our FSM's you can see where the Tech machines & their software do certain "functional tests".

The real key thing is the software and not necessarily the scanner itself. Trouble is the GM s/ware is copy-righted. The Vertronix boys had the corner on the OBDI GM software because it was awarded the GM contract.

Even my snap-on software for GM cars is abridged and will not do any of the "functional tests" listed in the 90 FSM that do not directly relate to emission's control / engine management systems.

I do believe that with OBDII equipped cars there was an effort to standardize software even further to include "safety items", but I'm not too sure how far that goes. Stuff like ABS, EBFD, EVSC, T/C, all may be included with the 'generic' software in OBDII format. I think on our cars, if my snap-on ABS software is any indication of OBDI copy-right generosity, I can not use the cartridge to bleed the ABS pump.....or at least I can't seem to figure it out.

The moral of all my hot air is that for our ZR-1's, if you want a full function scanner you need the Tech series with all the proprietary software GM wrote or you have to do without the non-emissions functionality tests.

Sorry to be so long-winded but this is how I understand the scanner software situation to be and I just wanted to make the point about proprietary software vs generic emissions software.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #22
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Just a note about the operational capability concerning different make scanners:

... snipped...

The moral of all my hot air is that for our ZR-1's, if you want a full function scanner you need the Tech series with all the proprietary software GM wrote or you have to do without the non-emissions functionality tests.

Sorry to be so long-winded but this is how I understand the scanner software situation to be and I just wanted to make the point about proprietary software vs generic emissions software.

Tom
Tom, I agree, but it's important not to overlook the fact that the processor and software is exactly the same in the Mastertech. The Mastertech goes a step above with an additional processor but definitely has the same abilities as the Tech 1.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #23
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

The reason most of us look for the Vertronix ( now owned by Bosch? ) Tech 1 or Tech 1A machines is that they were specifically intended for use at GM dealerships. Now, the most important part of the tool is the software library that came with it! If you look at the DTC diagnostic flow charts in our FSM's you can see where the Tech machines & their software do certain "functional tests".

The real key thing is the software and not necessarily the scanner itself. Trouble is the GM s/ware is copy-righted. The Vertronix boys had the corner on the OBDI GM software because it was awarded the GM contract.

Even my snap-on software for GM cars is abridged and will not do any of the "functional tests" listed in the 90 FSM that do not directly relate to emission's control / engine management systems.

I do believe that with OBDII equipped cars there was an effort to standardize software even further to include "safety items", but I'm not too sure how far that goes. Stuff like ABS, EBFD, EVSC, T/C, all may be included with the 'generic' software in OBDII format. I think on our cars, if my snap-on ABS software is any indication of OBDI copy-right generosity, I can not use the cartridge to bleed the ABS pump.....or at least I can't seem to figure it out.

Tom
Yep this is why I said only 90% functionality vs other scanners. The Tech-1A can perform a lot of the tests only meant for the eyes of the Trained GM Master Techs. You need one of these in your tool box if you plan on staying in the hobby for a while.

Hot Air Tom?? Sorry sounds like valuable technical advise to me.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #24
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
To go back to the original question about codes. I have had situations where the Service Engine Soon light comes on and there are no codes stored.

One condition where I have seen this is when a primary injector had a broken wire. No fuel to one cylinder caused a lean condition on that side and the SES light would come on and go out but I wasn't getting a code.

Another situation that I never identified, but I suspect was failing injectors was that the SES light would occasionally come on after a full throttle acceleration, would stay on until the engine was turned off and restarted. The SES would not return after the restart, and there were no codes set. I saw this several time over the years with my 1993.

GOFAST, you may be reading the codes correctly, but there aren't any there.

I recommend that the protracted discussion about code readers and data loggers be taken to a separate thread and we try to help GOFAST with his engine performance question.

Jim

I’ve seen this condition that would not set a hard code fault on any reader/scanner as well in the secondary system. A slow or weak vacuum secondary actuator will cause a momentary SES to light and not store a hard code and there are MANY pieces from that system that can cause the same problem. Normally this is seen during or after hard acceleration.
Lots of possibilities. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #25
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post

I recommend that the protracted discussion about code readers and data loggers be taken to a separate thread and we try to help GOFAST with his engine performance question.
I agree this needs a new thread. And it should probably be a "Solution" thread to help others in a general way.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote