ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-11-2012   #11
WydGlydJim

Default Re: Proper oil level help, please

My '90 was also very hard to get a good read, so don't feel bad....I generally checked as others have said after sitting overnight....It also used a bit more, than I have noticed with the '94. the '90s did not have valve guide seals, so I figured it was normal to burn off some......just another one of the racey '90 things.
1973 LS4/sold
WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #12
efnfast

I believe most cars are calibrated to be read after about five minutes of engine off, such as checking on the road. I really depends on how Chevy intended it to be read. I think Porche is meant to be read while the engine is running. That way there is always the same amount of oil in suspention.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #13
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I believe most cars are calibrated to be read after about five minutes of engine off, such as checking on the road. I really depends on how Chevy intended it to be read. I think Porche is meant to be read while the engine is running. That way there is always the same amount of oil in suspention.
The owners manual for my 91 specifies to wait a very long time for an accurate reading. Be assured that if you can read somewhere near the bottom of the indicated range, you should have enough to be safe.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #14
AustinJohn

Quote:
I believe most cars are calibrated to be read after about five minutes of engine off, such as checking on the road. It really depends on how Chevy intended it to be read. I think Porsche is meant to be read while the engine is running. That way there is always the same amount of oil in suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
The owners manual for my '91 specifies to wait a very long time for an accurate reading. Be assured that if you can read somewhere near the bottom of the indicated range, you should have enough to be safe.
This is one of those instances when it would be wonderful if someone who attended the LT5 Gang Reunion in Stillwater last August could email one of the folks on the LT5 team and get the answer. John

'90 Black/Gray ZR-1 #1723[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Ported intake, Haibeck Chip, CORSA exhaust, 4.10 rear end, Hurst shifter,
drilled/slotted rotors, stainless brake lines, 32mm sway bar, 170º thermostat

'94 Red/Gray Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Stock

'85 Black/Black Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Anything but stock (Lingenfelter 383 and every Lingenfelter mod available in '88
including 3:54 rear end, big brakes, Centerforce clutch, MSD electronics and Borla exhaust.)
True "barn find" restored/upgraded by me beginning in 2010.[/SIZE]
AustinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #15
Blue Flame Restorations

I feel confident that if I do a cold check first thing in the morning, I should have a very accurate reading to go by. Just my opinion.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 07-15-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #16
efnfast

So wouldn't a good test be to do an oil change, put in exactly the right amount of oil, 8.8 quarts in my case, and then see where it falls on the dipstick. Sitting overnight is certainly going to give an accurate and consistant reading, but that all hinges on where GM put the full mark.
Just checked my owners manual. It says check the oil when the engine is cold, that means it sat for hours. Apparently Chevy wants all the oil in the pan to check it.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #17
scottfab

Quote:
So wouldn't a good test be to do an oil change, put in exactly the right amount of oil, 8.8 quarts in my case, and then see where it falls on the dipstick. Sitting overnight is certainly going to give an accurate and consistant reading, but that all hinges on where GM put the full mark.
Just checked my owners manual. It says check the oil when the engine is cold, that means it sat for hours. Apparently Chevy wants all the oil in the pan to check it.
FYI I get 1/2 quart difference from 5min after and overnight check.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #18
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
The owners manual for my 91 specifies to wait a very long time for an accurate reading........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations
I feel confident that if I do a cold check, first thing in the morning, I should have a very accurate reading to go by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfast
It has been a long established practice among knowledgable ZR-1 owners to check the oil level when the engine is cold, sat overnight, all day, etc., a fact corroberated by the owners manual.

Simple, safe, good practice is to let it drain overnight, then refill with 9qts. Drive it, park it overnight, check the level in the morning & top it off, usually 0.2~0.5 qts.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #19
AustinJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
It has been a long established practice among knowledgeable ZR-1 owners to check the oil level when the engine is cold, sat overnight, all day, etc., a fact corroborated by the owners manual.

Simple, safe, good practice is to let it drain overnight, then refill with 9qts. Drive it, park it overnight, check the level in the morning & top it off, usually 0.2~0.5 qts.
Many thanks, Jerry. Thoughts from long experience are what I was hoping for when I started the thread on what seemed an embarrassing issue and you've helped us all.

John

'90 Black/Gray ZR-1 #1723[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Ported intake, Haibeck Chip, CORSA exhaust, 4.10 rear end, Hurst shifter,
drilled/slotted rotors, stainless brake lines, 32mm sway bar, 170º thermostat

'94 Red/Gray Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Stock

'85 Black/Black Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Anything but stock (Lingenfelter 383 and every Lingenfelter mod available in '88
including 3:54 rear end, big brakes, Centerforce clutch, MSD electronics and Borla exhaust.)
True "barn find" restored/upgraded by me beginning in 2010.[/SIZE]
AustinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote