ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-13-2012   #1
ZR1North

Default Garage Heat

I am transitioning from electric heat in my garage to a gas heater. The choices seem to be forced air or radiant heaters. The radiant heaters seem to be much more efficient, are practically noise free and don't blow dirt around.

Since with radiant heat the objects get heated (which in turn heat the air) rather than the other way around as with forced air, I wonder about the potential effect of the radiation on the vehicle paint. I can't see any research on this; has anyone delved into this and arrived at definate conclusions?
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #2
vilant

Default Re: Garage Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
I am transitioning from electric heat in my garage to a gas heater. The choices seem to be forced air or radiant heaters. The radiant heaters seem to be much more efficient, are practically noise free and don't blow dirt around.

Since with radiant heat the objects get heated (which in turn heat the air) rather than the other way around as with forced air, I wonder about the potential effect of the radiation on the vehicle paint. I can't see any research on this; has anyone delved into this and arrived at definate conclusions?
The effect on your paint won't be any worse then it was with electric heater. In fact there's a much a higher risk of electric heaters doing damage, especially if it's close to the car. Forced air and Fin tube(water base board heat) reach temps no higher then 120 F., generally. Electric heater temps are initially much, much higher. Fin tube is more efficient then forced air. I prefer the fin tube.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #3
carter200

Hi,
If you are worried about radiant damage to the car then use a good car cover and problem solved.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #4
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
Hi,
If you are worried about radiant damage to the car then use a good car cover and problem solved.
Thanks guys! Radiant heat with the cover is probably THE answer.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #5
hiperf406

I had a radient heater in my garage & I would never use anything else. They heat the objects in garage & it has a better heat recovery after you open the door in the winter(if you get winter).

When the flag drops the bull sh1t stops!
hiperf406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #6
scottfab

It rarely gets cold enough to need to heat the garage here but when I do I use a big blow torch. I just aim the 4ft flame at the 1ft above the floor for 3min. That's all it takes.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #7
cvette98pacecar

Radiant heat works by heat transfer, Heat moves from a warmer to a colder place. (Second rule of thermodynamics) Not very efficient for heating large area.
Electric heat really does not tell me much there are many style electric heaters on the market, Radiant, forced air, hot water. I need a little more information.
Hot water heat is generally 180.0df if you have baseboard, 140df if you have radiant heat in the slab. You still operate the boiler to maintain 180df you just mix the return and supply water to 140df discharge water temp.
I Installed a horizontal high efficiency furnace with a single central return that has a 2" filter. I have 6 ducts on each side of the garage in the ceiling and two over each door to create a curtain when the door is open. When either door is open the burner shuts off and the air stays on as long as the DAT is greater than 100df.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote