ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-13-2012   #11
rhipsher

Default Re: One of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
Rick,
Remember the old saying "someone is always gonna be faster" Just enjoy what you have.
Tell that to Jim who Im sure enjoyed his admiral blue Z. But opted for the great white monster. Sorry my friend. I just got to have the big power.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #12
USAFPILOT

I'm down for a 427..... one day..... when I come into some cubic dollars.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #13
rhipsher

Ryan I've been talking to a guy in Indianapolis who has a 2009 LPE ZR1. A 2011 grandsport convertible. And drum roll please a 1990 black on black LPE 385 ZR-1. His wife says he needs to get ride of one and its the 385. It's got 45k miles on it. Same Fiske wheels Bob Halls car has. He's run a best 1/4 mile time of 11.1@128mph. Said he wouldn't take any less than $37k for it. Hes a guy thats not in the ZR-1 loop. He's never heard of the Zr1registry. Bob Hall. Paul Smith. Paul Denhert. Sanjay Mehta or any of these guys most of us all no. Or at least have heard of. There are guys out there like that. He sounds like he would be willing to work with me. So Im seriously thinking about.
Old 06-16-2012   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Vistors from another planet?? YUP! That bout sums it up when the ZR-1s show up at the strip - especially when they kick some "thumbs in the armpits" Vette jocks' azzes!

If you missed the presentation on the "BIG INCH" LT5s at BG, maybe this will put your mind at ease. Here's a happy group. Cudos to an FBI 427 and a pair of 441s taking home the bacon from all comers; C6Z06s, included, and even a Caloway supercharged LS2 included!

BTW, Pete's 350 has run an 11.01 at over 129. Maybe all ya need to do is pass it through FBI land?

Oh! And Frank's 441 has over 20k miles on it and still running strong (and he has the broken U-joints and spindles to proove it!)

(And still "they" say 2 valves and pushrods is just as good...yeah, right!)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-16-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #15
Bob Eyres

It'll always take, dollar to dollar more $$'s to run quick in the quarter in a ZR-1. At a reasonable price, your only shot at running with the big dogs is to buy an old ZR-1 stroker used.
That 385 is a good bet to beat your buddy in the C5, but once you do that, then what? There are plenty C5's and C6's in the tens, and the big boys are in the Nines.
You might just have to settle for being fast "for what it is". I think Pete's stock block 350 banging on the Tens is the coolest thing. I've had fun trying to get in the elevens with a "stock motor" car.
The quarter mile car I'd like to see is "The Lightweight", a C4 but like the "Snake Skinner". Our cars are so cheap nowadays you could strip one down by at least 500-600 lbs. Looks normal, but a 2,700-2,800 lb. sleeper with a 550hp. stock block 350, Pete style. A mid ten second old C4 that would surprise the hell out of them.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #16
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
It'll always take, dollar to dollar more $$'s to run quick in the quarter in a ZR-1. At a reasonable price, your only shot at running with the big dogs is to buy an old ZR-1 stroker used.
That 385 is a good bet to beat your buddy in the C5, but once you do that, then what?
Its really all about respect. I just want to hear what he'll say after we line up and that green light flashes and I leave him further and further behind. He just won't know how to deal with it. And I'll be tickled.
I remember getting ready to stage at the drag strip and the guy next to me was in a TT nissan. He rolled down his window and said nice ZR-1! What does it run? 11's? I zaid no. It runs in the 12's. I could tell that he didn't think that was very impressive. But he said thats cool. He ran an 11.5 and just blew by me. Thats when realized that even though it may be the fastest car Ive ever owned, in the overall picture where people all around you are running in the 11's and its common to see a mid to high 12's car is a snail. Its kinda embarrassing when your car looks faster than it really is. And the drag strip really lets you know where your car stands among fast street cars. Thats what everybody that now has a stroker or TT went through. A 375 or 405hp ZR-1 just wasnt going to cut it if you wanted to post serious times.
Even when Robin ran his out of tune LPE 385 at the Texas mile and still ran over 177mph you should have heard some of the comments comming from the LS9 ZR1 croud. Some were positive saying they thought it was cool seeing an old school ZR-1 hanging with the new Z's. And some said the only reason it did was because MAYBE ITS A STROKER?. One guy that actually owns an LPE 415 ZR-1 and a 2010 ZR1 chimed in and say Hey guys! A stroked LT5 is not to be taken lightly. My 415 will bitch slap my LS9 all day long.
Sure there's always gonna be cars that are faster but I prefere to get out of the 12's.