ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-09-2012   #1
oricale

Default Installing a Hurst shifter

HAHAHAHA!...you know where this is going!...

OK...can anyone tell me if I can install the Hurst shifter WITHOUT pulling the exhaust, tranny ect!...?????

I would really like to get this in before BG because compared to driving the C6 with the hurst its like driving a school BUS!

Please let me know!
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*

Last edited by oricale; 05-09-2012 at 08:17 AM.
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: Installing a Hurst shifter

I believe that the Hurst shifter can be installed without removing the transmission from the car.

The difficult part of the job is disconnecting a coupling between the shifter mechanism and the transmission shifter rod. The coupling is enclosed in a heavy rubber boot that surrounds the shifter "box" and is attached to the lower rear part of the transmission.

It is important to not tear the rubber boot while you hold it out of the way to drive a pin out of the coupling. Then you have to drive the pin in again while fighting the rubber boot.

The actual shifter lever change is easy once it is un-coupled.

I wish you could come to the WMD Saturday or Sunday. I have all the parts and a spare tranny or two you could examine before you start the job.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #3
oricale

Also Jim do I have to remove the exhaust?...

I know man,..You know the military...but in any case I would like to get it done before BG.
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #4
Gunny

The short answer is yes, you can install without removing tranny, exhaust, etc. I believe you only need to take the OEM shifter & boot loose.

One of the first mods to my 90 was the Hurst shifter and the previous owner owned a lift since he did all his own maintenance, work, etc. He had installed 4-5 shifters so knew exactly what to do ... at one point I sat in the driver's seat with the car lifted up while he worked below ... essentially I was holding/guiding some parts above while he took care of things below. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it but he made it easy and probably did the whole thing in a couple of hours. Great mod, by the way.

George
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #5
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
Also Jim do I have to remove the exhaust?...
but in any case I would like to get it done before BG.
Pull the exhaust then you'll have it done before BG.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #6
VetteMed

Not pulling the exhaust, will make you hate life. It's hard enough to do the swap with the exhaust removed -- I can't imagine trying to manipulate all the bits and pieces of the shifter assembly with two big-*** pipes in the way.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #7
brodykelly

so you know me and my 11yr old boy did it using a jack and laying on the floor in 4-5hrs, didn't remove anything from car except what was required by the factory instructions, i did go to the zr-1 net and print off some how-to's and hints that people published, i too was scared to do it, i'm an electrician by trade, pretty good w old muscle cars but we did it, not bad job....i recently also removed tranny/clutch, flywheel, press plate, exhaust, c-beam, drive shaft and all associated parts to replace flywheel to press plate and all clutch parts in between....scared to try it myself....i bit the bullit and accomplished it with not one issue on eithermentioned jobs.. get some beer and a cpl buddies to hand you tools and enjoy working on the Z yourself...and have lots of xtra cash from not paying for labor and buy more beer when done!!!! brody p.
brodykelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #8
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodykelly View Post
so you know me and my 11yr old boy did it using a jack and laying on the floor in 4-5hrs, didn't remove anything from car except what was required by the factory instructions, i did go to the zr-1 net and print off some how-to's and hints that people published, i too was scared to do it, i'm an electrician by trade, pretty good w old muscle cars but we did it, not bad job....i recently also removed tranny/clutch, flywheel, press plate, exhaust, c-beam, drive shaft and all associated parts to replace flywheel to press plate and all clutch parts in between....scared to try it myself....i bit the bullit and accomplished it with not one issue on eithermentioned jobs.. get some beer and a cpl buddies to hand you tools and enjoy working on the Z yourself...and have lots of xtra cash from not paying for labor and buy more beer when done!!!! brody p.
This is truly the secret. Don't worry, it's been done before and likely in the How To section. That and supply the beer to the buddies for fetching tools while you're under there

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #9
Whitecorvettes

It may have done before but K2 has been climbed before, and people have swam with great white sharks, but I don't advise it.

Just took six hours to slowly work through the disassembly of my 95 Z shifter housing and did it all myself except for getting a hand from my son on the exhaust. There is no way I could have pulled that lower boot back or even snipped the zip tie if I had not pulled the exhaust. But it does help that I have a four post lift and boards to help prop up pipes when I removed it.

So far so good. Now if I can just remember where everything went. Thankfully will have an expert over tomorrow to check my work. The primary goal was to not lose anything and do far, so good. Hopefully tomorrow she is running with a new Hurst short throw. A heck of a lot of work for one new part that comes with four C rings, three zip ties, and three tubes of lub as the primary new parts and kit. I've never changed any shifter ever so this has been pretty cool and fun I must say!

Mike
Whitecorvettes is offline   Reply With Quote