ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-21-2012   #1
Whitecorvettes

Default Reverse lock out on 95

Hey folks,

Rocking and rolling on my beautiful 95' white "King" but doing some very minor Tweeks to make her mine. I am adding a Hurst short throw. I'm new to the car had it less than 9 months, and want to know if the stock 95' already has a built in lock out ring. If so am I going to put on a car correct Hurst will I lose the ring? What risk am I creating with a Hurst addition? Naturally I am keeping original parts as I have done with my other adjustments (exhaust, tires, and a few other plans to both drive her and protect her).

Thanks in advance!

And big shout out to Jerry's in OK for the cam bolt seals. Worked like a charm but also grateful I didn't have to replace all 48 seals! I certainly don't want to pull my motor just to change seals!

Mike Rheiner
Whitecorvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #2
mike100

Default Re: Reverse lock out on 95

All the 95's (and 96's for the non ZR-1 vettes) did not have the reverse lockout deal on the shaft, so any extra hardware is not needed. The aftermarket shifters don't all have the provisions to use the lock ring anyhow, but not a problem on the 95.

I converted my 91 after having owned a 95 LT1 car. Just the reverse detent is much more difficult to push into- negating the need for the extra mechanism.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #3
Whitecorvettes

Thanks for the quick information. What's even better is that I had thought the lock out wasn't an issue on my 95' but couldn't recall where I learned that so decided I'd better ask first. Looking forward to changing the shifter, and after cleaning the old one up putting it in a box and storing it along with my other items....sure takes up less space than my exhaust system!

Thanks again!!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
All the 95's (and 96's for the non ZR-1 vettes) did not have the reverse lockout deal on the shaft, so any extra hardware is not needed. The aftermarket shifters don't all have the provisions to use the lock ring anyhow, but not a problem on the 95.

I converted my 91 after having owned a 95 LT1 car. Just the reverse detent is much more difficult to push into- negating the need for the extra mechanism.
Old 05-22-2012   #4
Demps

Mike,
I'm in Omaha this week. Want some help putting the shifter in? Want a few pointers about the install, the car or '95s in general?
Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #5
Whitecorvettes

Hey Ted,

I'd love some tips this week. However I'm out of town until late Wednesday night so first available time would be Thursday. We can meet some place for a bite to eat and look the car over. I don't have the shifter set yet as I just ordered it but I do plain on doing the work myself. I have some serious gear head friends who do work professionally who can be bribed with beer and pizza, along with the fact that I insist on doing the work, just want tips and guidance from them. My 65' and 95' Z are my classroom....and awesome looking classroom to boot!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Mike,
I'm in Omaha this week. Want some help putting the shifter in? Want a few pointers about the install, the car or '95s in general?
Ted
Old 05-22-2012   #6
Demps

Mike,
I'm leaving Thursday PM. Would have liked to meet up. Let me know if I can help when the time comes.
Ted
Old 05-22-2012   #7
Whitecorvettes

I might have some time Wednesday evening after 7:00. Might you have some
Time then?
Old 05-22-2012   #8
Demps

Mike,
Possibly. Work will go long but hopefully. I'll PM you.
Ted