ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-20-2012   #11
XfireZ51

Default Re: Unusual fast idle condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
I had the sticking throttle plate problem (secondary) and had Marc rebuild the TB for me (works great now). I notice he adds an extra return spring during his rebuild
Yes that's what we did to mine as well. Marc said the return spring gets weaker and he adds a small one to help w the closing. Mine works fine now and frankly I like the additional resistance. There's a more direct proportional feel to the pedal.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #12
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in VT View Post
Hi Scott,
................snip
BTW, I was born and raised in Portland, OR. Worked and retired from Tektronix. Worked part time for Northwest Investment Cars in West Slope and the old Motorsports International (Used Porsche store) located also in West Slope. I am on my 27 Vette but included in all the Vette fun was owning a Pantera, a real Cobra 427 SC and many Porsche 928's

Have a great ZR1 summer.

Don
What a small world. I too worked at Tek but then who didn't back then. One of my pensions is coming from Danaher the parent of Tek. I was in the Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers and later Printer group for a total of 19 before moving on. Bet we know some folks in common.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #13
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
I had the sticking throttle plate problem (secondary) and had Marc rebuild the TB for me (works great now). I notice he adds an extra return spring during his rebuild
Most initial failure on the TB is the plates sticking to the sides and/or top. From the factory they come with a special grease at and around the plates (some stuff used on the IAC) . People tend to over clean these. Later on as the bushings wear there is too much sloop and sticking becomes more frequent. A good way to tell is "blip" the throttle. If it slows down you got it.
Yearly cleaning is required. (or 60mo depending on use) I use axle grease on the edges of the plates (including the small idle plate in the middle at the bottom).
My personal preference is not to use an extra spring. It stiffens the peddle too much for me.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote