ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-14-2012   #1
BlackbirdZ07

Default How to clear FX3 codes?

I just did a search and couldn't find the details I need... Service Ride Control light in my '90 is on, and when I pulled the codes I found that ALL the codes were set. I think I may have caused that by connecting an almost discharged battery. I'd like to clear the codes and start over.

The FSM only says to ground pin C of the ALDL for two seconds and repeat twice, for a total of three groundings. I've tried doing that many times but no luck... can someone tell me exactly how to do it? I tried turning the key on with the ground in place, leaving it for two seconds, removing it, etc. so it was grounded three times. I've tried waiting for two seconds after code 12 starts flashing. I've tried turning the key on and off three times. I've tried turning the key on and then grounding it, etc.

I also tried disconnecting the battery overnight and driving the car, and nothing has cleared the codes.
BlackbirdZ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: How to clear FX3 codes?

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/sixsteps.htm

Yep thats right in the FSM as stated. Do you have a Autoxray or a scanner normally those can clear out the codes as well
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 05-14-2012 at 03:47 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #3
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07 View Post
The FSM only says to ground pin C of the ALDL for two seconds and repeat twice, for a total of three groundings. I've tried doing that many times but no luck... can someone tell me exactly how to do it?
I have done this and it works.
1. with pin C shorted to ground turn the key on ..... at this point the codes start flashing the DIC light
2. as the codes start flashing remove the short for 2 sec (I just count one, two)
3. then quickly short the pin again for 1 sec
4. then remove the short again for 2 sec
5. now short for 1 sec again
6. now remove short again for 2 sec
7. and finally short for 15 sec

The codes should clear. With some practice you can do the above without thinking. I created a push button switch for myself to do this. It is important in step 2 to remove the short AS the codes are flashing.
Good luck.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #4
BlackbirdZ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I have done this and it works.
1. with pin C shorted to ground turn the key on ..... at this point the codes start flashing the DIC light
2. as the codes start flashing remove the short for 2 sec (I just count one, two)
3. then quickly short the pin again for 1 sec
4. then remove the short again for 2 sec
5. now short for 1 sec again
6. now remove short again for 2 sec
7. and finally short for 15 sec

The codes should clear. With some practice you can do the above without thinking. I created a push button switch for myself to do this. It is important in step 2 to remove the short AS the codes are flashing.
Good luck.
Thanks... that should do it. I'll try it tonight. I do have an AutoXray, haven't used it in a long time but if this doesn't work I'll break it out and see if it'll clear the codes.
Old 05-14-2012   #5
Tyler Townsley

If they reset you will have to have Bilsteen rebuild them to keep from getting the codes unless you have broken the motor gear on top of the shock.$$$$$

Tyker
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #6
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley View Post
If they reset you will have to have Bilsteen rebuild them to keep from getting the codes unless you have broken the motor gear on top of the shock.$$$$$

Tyker
The gear on top of the shock can be rebuilt cheaply and stronger than stock.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Old_Proj/old_proj4.htm

Old 05-15-2012   #7
BlackbirdZ07

Well, I got the codes cleared. I don't know exactly what worked, but I kept doing different things (including the procedure above) and I finally figured out that I had cleared all the codes except one: code 14, which is the right front. I think the codes were cleared but then 14 reset every time I turned the ignition on.

So I removed the actuator... shock gear and actuator looked fine, but actuator did not move when I turned the key on. Bad actuator?? To test that, I removed the actuator, disconnected the left front actuator and plugged the suspect actuator into the left front connector. Low and behold, it moved when I turned on the key... so the actuator is NOT bad. It's not getting power for some reason. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2012   #8
VetteMed

Quote:
Well, I got the codes cleared. I don't know exactly what worked, but I kept doing different things (including the procedure above) and I finally figured out that I had cleared all the codes except one: code 14, which is the right front. I think the codes were cleared but then 14 reset every time I turned the ignition on.

So I removed the actuator... shock gear and actuator looked fine, but actuator did not move when I turned the key on. Bad actuator?? To test that, I removed the actuator, disconnected the left front actuator and plugged the suspect actuator into the left front connector. Low and behold, it moved when I turned on the key... so the actuator is NOT bad. It's not getting power for some reason. Any ideas?
That would point to an open or short in the wiring prior to the actuator connector. Or, a bad module behind the driver's seat.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #9
scottfab

Quote:
Before anything else preform a "capping run".
This is a term from my old electronics engineering days.
It means go back to the original assumption and verify it is still true.
Put the original actuator back where it was to make sure it does not
run still. If it is now running then it's likely the connectors were corroded and you cleaned them by re-attaching. Either that or you have a wiring/connector problem that is intermittent. I've seen this before.
If the failure to turn is persistent then you have a hard failure in the wiring.