ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-04-2012   #1
VetteMed

Default Seat belt retractor FYI:

Got into the Z this morning, went to put on my seat belt, and the lap belt portion wouldn't pull out of the retractor. Tried over and over again, pushed the cinch button repeatedly to see if something was jammed, no dice.

Got home this evening, and removed the retractor unit, and opened it up. There was a good few tablespoons' worth of lint, grit, etc, all around the inertia lock pendulum and associated levers. Blew it out with some pressurized air, and it works as good as new!

For reference, I also spoke with Carlos at Seatbelt Solutions. They quoted me $350 to re-web both sides (LH and RH), and another $50 to repair the stuck retractor. While obviously I don't need the repair anymore, it's nice to know that there's an option for having the webbing redone (which is probably not a bad idea at 20+ years of age).
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: Seat belt retractor FYI:

These new OEM sets can be found from time 2 time for alot less than $400+.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #3
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
These new OEM sets can be found from time 2 time for alot less than $400+.
Yes, agreed. but at some point, those new sets will disappear.

My post wasn't to plug this company whose quality I have no knowledge of. The point was to explain that a stuck retractor might just be stuck due to 20 years of crud inside the housing.

Last edited by VetteMed; 05-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2012   #4
mike100

Mine made a bad squeal when the belt extended and retracted and sounded cheap every t me may fat azz bounced out of the seat on bumps etc. A little air and silicone lube in the guts fixed it right up.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Yes, agreed. but at some point, those new sets will disappear.

My post wasn't to plug this company whose quality I have no knowledge of. The point was to explain that a stuck retractor might just be stuck due to 20 years of crud inside the housing.
When I pulled mine out I found coins, lint, paper, food etc. lol
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #6
gbmidyear66

OK, apologies in advance for the semi-hijack....

I just hate when you open up the secondaries and the belt cinches from the G force (particularly when its just after lunch or dinner...).

Is this normal?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
4.10's, Custom PROM, Flowmaster, Top End Port
NCRS BC Chapter
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #7
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
OK, apologies in advance for the semi-hijack....

I just hate when you open up the secondaries and the belt cinches from the G force (particularly when its just after lunch or dinner...).

Is this normal?
The inertia lock is supposed to activate upon rapid deceleration. I have not noticed it under rapid acceleration. There is a pendulum inside the retractor mechanism which prevents the belt from pulling out of the housing when the pendulum swings forward -- but I didn't think the same should occur when the pendulum swings backwards.

Might be worthwhile to open it up and clean it out
Old 05-06-2012   #8
gbmidyear66

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
The inertia lock is supposed to activate upon rapid deceleration. I have not noticed it under rapid acceleration. There is a pendulum inside the retractor mechanism which prevents the belt from pulling out of the housing when the pendulum swings forward -- but I didn't think the same should occur when the pendulum swings backwards.

Might be worthwhile to open it up and clean it out
Grea info Thanks!

I'd assumed it was a "feature". This is going to the top of my "To Do" list.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
4.10's, Custom PROM, Flowmaster, Top End Port
NCRS BC Chapter
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote