90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #52
LGAFF

Default Re: Lotus boxer LT-5 Engine

Check out the names associated with the engine....I asked who the guys in the video are...

Lee,

Bit of a delay answering your question about who some of the people are, took a bit of remembering.

The people in the group photo are (lt to rt) Me and MARCO's Gerry Gillis, Mike Boerma (Pres), Tony Brakora, Jeff Wood, and Brian Woodward. Gerry and I are in the photo discussing cam timing.

Video of first XE-1 start-up at my lab
I'm the guy in the plaid shirt, my nephew, David Gallant is the kid who checks rpm with a handheld tach, my brother is the clapping audience.

MARCO video in the dyn. cell
In the blue coat is MARCO tech, Jeff Wood, I'm in the upper left corner talking with engine builder, Carl Hinkson (from Maine), and the man in the tan suit who walks in to talk with me is Johnny Caple, President of CART, he is telling me the computer is indicating my prototype is running on its own power and has been calibrated for the BSFC Global Point test. The maiden run produced better BSFC data than the LT5 Global Point. A handful of names are there for the test. Bob Bahre, Nascar Track Owner and Smokey Yunick are both there somewhere but not in this clip. Jerry Stahl made the headers but had conflicting dates and didn't make the test.

During the mid 1980s I had just completed a supercharged prototype engine based on Honda GoldWing heads. A hybrid with a full charge firing stroke every rpm. The exhaust scavenge and air recharge was facilitated by the Eaton tapered screw blower. Fuel was metered by the Honda injectors. John Dodd, General Motors Head of Innovations and F. Gibson Butler, GM Olds Engineer (44 yrs) came out to see that engine tested and took interest in my engine designs. At the time I showed them my design of a new Boxer block with my crank mechanism invention (XE-1). I went to Detroit to meet with David Cole and later Bob Stemple. I was given rights to use the LT5 heads. At that time, Maine Governor McKernan and Senators Mitchell and Cohen began to support my automotive fuel efficiency work as part of adopting "The Clean Air Act". The XE-1 received a DOE grant and Mercury supplied parts via General Motors Joan Schmitt. The engine was completed in 1995 and tested at MARCO (irony, Marco was sold to Lotus at the end of the 1990s).

Sidebar: Gib became a good friend. In the 1940s he worked under Ed Cole (father of the small block engine series). Gib was the inventor of the GM V8 crank balance counterweight system first used on the Olds Rocket 88 V8.

Doug
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 04-01-2012   #53
LGAFF

Well the cam return has turned into a saga....The guy apologized and agreed the cams were not as represented. I returned the cams 2 weeks ago, and they have now been in his hands for 10 days. He told me he has an issue with Paypal and someone filed a complaint against him freezing his account. That was a week ago, now I see the guy putting more stuff on Ebay...

I thought this guy was going to step up but now I realize I have been scammed.. ....$543 and nothing in my hand....BS

This is the guys profile...buyer beware, if he comes through I will let you know
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 04-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2012   #54
DaveK

Lee

You should have payment protection through PayPal. You might want to contact them.

Thanks

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #55
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Well the cam return has turned into a saga....The guy apologized and agreed the cams were not as represented. I returned the cams 2 weeks ago, and they have now been in his hands for 10 days. He told me he has an issue with Paypal and someone filed a complaint against him freezing his account. That was a week ago, now I see the guy putting more stuff on Ebay...

I thought this guy was going to step up but now I realize I have been scammed.. ....$543 and nothing in my hand....BS

This is the guys profile...buyer beware, if he comes through I will let you know

http://myworld.ebay.com/jazzbstrat/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
Lee, if you paid via credit card to paypal, you can still dispute the charge with your CC company...

If bank transfer, then you are at paypal's mercy, not a good place to be as I've found.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #56
LGAFF

Well filed a complaint and got my money back ASAP(it will pend until April 5th)....very disappointed, was hoping this would lead to an HOB article from the guy, he obviously is an intelligent guy
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 04-01-2012 at 11:34 PM.