ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-05-2012   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Tuners - Anyone have a stock 90MY bin file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I think you are taking it the wrong way. It's meant to be of help not discouragement. Just trying to point out what it may take and I doubt that someone in Japan would have more experience w the LT-5 than those stateside.
Not taking it wrong at all and appreciate all the help I can get. I don't have many choices to get this Z on the road so trying what I can. The tuner is not in Japan and in Hawaii so we will be sending things back and forth by trial and error, no different than the tuning I was doing with Marc H. Right now he is sending me the Moates burner and memcal adapter. I was just saying I have nothing to lose because I will be here for 5 years and want to drive it legally with plates. Thanks!
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-08-2012 at 04:47 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #12
XfireZ51

Call if you need help.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #13
Coupe89

I've gone to http://www.teamzr1.com/ for tuner help to pass California emissions
1990 ZR-1 #642
Coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #14
1990 quasar blue

What about the ostrich from moates? I believe you could make real time changes yourself then save the file and have it burned to the chip. It would be less back and forth. Just a thought.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks Dom and all. Sorry, I can't answer any questions about this and clueless. Just counting on my friend and what he is going to suggest so we'll see in time. Thanks for the info and offers to help. I really do want to learn so this will help to see what goes on with prom tuning.

Old 03-08-2012   #16
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post
What about the ostrich from moates? I believe you could make real time changes yourself then save the file and have it burned to the chip. It would be less back and forth. Just a thought.
Update. I have the Moates Burn 1 with memcal adapter (he sent to me). He has the programs and making the adjustments. Yes, he recommended I invest in the Ostrich (he has the Ostrich) and looking into a few things for my own tuning when I learn more. I downloaded TunerPro RT (will look at TunerCat RT too) and installed just to take a look and get familiar as I try to learn so I can do this myself one day.

For the past few weeks when I have time I have been sending datalogging and trying to replicate the same type of driving that the Japan emissions for import uses for testing. My friend makes the adjustments and trying to get my LT/ST or BLM/INT to 128. He sends me the bin file and I burn it to the chip that runs piggyback to original memcal. It is amazing how far off my tune was and so far only two exhanges of files and what a difference in how the car runs. The car was running very rich and I have not been able to try the latest changes due to my darn hood release cable clip breaking off a few days ago; waiting on the new clips (also going to install emergency cables to avoid having to fish with the Gordon K tool). I don't know how he does it and he says it is easy, but takes a little time to analyze my data and make the adjustments. I see why there is some cost involved to do this type of tuning.

Once he gets the air/fuel right, not sure what other adjustments he has in mind, but loving it so far. Not sure how much it will help me to pass either, but it sure is a lot better than it was and I really see the value of fine tuning the way the car is running now.

Here are the driving conditions I am trying to replicate on the street as much as possible. I had a friend here translate the Japanese language for me to be able to replicate.

Is this what the emissions testing is like in the US? This seems quite crazy to me and to do this many modes of testing 3 times.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-08-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2012   #17
bdw18_123

Wow, yeah that is crazy! That list makes the California emissions test look like a walk in the park!

Here, all they do is put the car on the roller and test at 15mph and 25mph and that is it for the sniffer test. Of course there is the visual too.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
Wow, yeah that is crazy! That list makes the California emissions test look like a walk in the park!

Here, all they do is put the car on the roller and test at 15mph and 25mph and that is it for the sniffer test. Of course there is the visual too.
I am being told it is impossible to pass, but I want to try anyway. My testing takes about an hour and they do put it up on the lift and inspect everything; they had a few questions about all the aftermarket stuff on my car, but at least I had the original exhaust manifold/cats and air pump or they would not have even let me get to the sniffer test. This testing even has the graph machine like lie detector testing with all kinds of colors as well as all kinds of computer printouts. I even have to have the spec tire pressure too and they compare with original equipment spec sheets.