ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-13-2012   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Got the tach running again!

Thanks to WVZR-1 who sent me his old LT1 cluster board, AND THIS REGISTRY SITE, I was able to harvest the differential op amp from the LT1 board and install it on my ZR-1 cluster. Thanks very much, Dave!

Once I had the "new" chip installed, it only took a couple minutes to get the tach to track the rpm on my scanner. But, I thought I would confirm what I and others thought might be the case - the compatibility question re using the LT1 cluster as a potential source for parts. From measurements I did, all the components on the LT1 cluster are the same values as the ZR-1. Hope that helps.

Anyway....I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my call for help. Once again the "Brotherhood" comes thru. Owning a ZR-1 without this site and the people here would be a whole different experience when things go wrong!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #2
Bill

Default Re: Got the tach running again!

Did you end up with about 190K Ω to get the tach to track the scanner?
Old 01-14-2012   #3
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Did you end up with about 190K Ω to get the tach to track the scanner?
In my case the "magic number" was 225k.

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 01-15-2012   #4
tomtom72

Okay I never had my cluster out so this Q is from ignorance.

It would seem if all the LT1 cluster components are electrically the same could one just swap cluster faces?

TIA for tolerating my endless Q's

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #5
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Okay I never had my cluster out so this Q is from ignorance.

It would seem if all the LT1 cluster components are electrically the same could one just swap cluster faces?

TIA for tolerating my endless Q's

Tom
That is a good question. I was tempted to do just that. However, except for the damaged IC chip, my board was in like new condition, whereas the donor board had significant "frosting" on the connector pins especially - possibly leading to the reason it was a "donor"(?).

I would offer to write the whole calibration process up. But, in truth there is such an excellent, long-standing procedure and writeup with photos, etc, over on the CF forum, I don't know that I could add anything of significance to it. "If it ain't broke...Don't fix it!" (in other words).

However, I did learn a few things not mentioned in that writeup: For one, the CF testimonials for resistance value favor 300kΩ, ±. In discussing this with Marc, he tells me in his experience the value to result in re-calibration for the ZR-1s seems to be generally half to 2/3 that value. (In my case it was 225kΩ)

Note: Coincidentally(?), if you install a 300k Ω (±) on the board w/o first removing the old resistor, the net resistance of the two in parallel falls (more or less) within that range of the values Marc typically finds to recalibrate the tach with the failing resistance removed from the circuit. The writeup (I saw) on the CF board is ambiguous w/ regard to removing the failing resistor from the circuit. I, and obviously SOP for Marc too, opted to remove the failing resistor from the circuit, replacing it with "fresh" parts - which coincidentally results in a huge increase in wattage capacity over the lazer-cut resistance on the stock array. Well, at least that resistor will never fail again.

The hard lesson learned was to take steps to insure good connections to the board and the test jig. Should the resistor circuit be or become open - due to a bad solder joint, or connection on the jig itself, the negative feedback loop to the op amp is lost. Bad things happen next! The amp gain will literally go "open loop" - for about a second or so before it fries an internal transistor. Then you're hunting up a 9907A IC to replace the one that just fried.

According to Marc, it appears that in some cases there may be other resistors (on the board) or other factors at play, resulting in a non-linear tach response. Such does not appear to be the case, in my instance, but Marc says he sometimes has to split the difference between the resistance needed to calibrate the tach at 6000 rpm and what it takes to dial it in at 2000 rpm.

Hmmmm..... Maybe I should write it up.

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-17-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2012   #6
Torchred96

Good news for sure. I envy your lectical skills. My tach is completely dead ..it spikes once in a while to full scale and then back to 0. but, lacking any real knowledge of lectriks, I'll probably send it out.

Is the tach section seperate from the speedometer and everything else? What I'm getting at is, if I send it out, is there a way to remove just the tach? and reinstall so I can have a speedo?
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #7
GOLDCYLON

Good to here its up and running again
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #8
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Very cool Paul!!!!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #9
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post

Is the tach section seperate from the speedometer and everything else? What I'm getting at is, if I send it out, is there a way to remove just the tach? and reinstall so I can have a speedo?
Well, yes, the tach itself is part of an individual module and can be removed. But, from what you said, it doesn't sound like the actual tach (D'Arsonval) movment is bad: sounds to be just fine, in fact. So, that puts the problem elsewhere.

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.