ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 12-04-2011   #1
vandornjim

Default So Long, Johnny B

It is with great emotion that I share the news that we’ve lost a friend. Johnny Biffle, of Nashville TN, has passed. I can’t do funerals (even mine) so this is the best I can do.

Johnny Biffle was your typical image of a southern gentleman if there is such a thing. He dressed neatly and spoke with the calmest, warmest tone with a touch of southern charm. He waited nearly 10 months to become AM of BG’s first customer which he took great pride in from then on.
Johhny B’s passions were his family, his faith followed very closely by his fondness for “Ol Red”, his 1990 ZR-1 Corvette in which he competed year-round winning many local titles. I remember the time he first came in and needed all types of repairs. He didn’t mention his faulty clutch which required both feet to push. When I asked he said he had nothing but problems and in fact, it had been worked on extensively before but in any case, he would have to wait before he spent more money on it. Then he said “Rita can’t even drive it anymore.” Well, that night, Jim Jr and Reilly were here and I couldn’t help it. Together we pulled his clutch out, determined the problem, installed our parts, and put it all back together and it was perfect. When Johnny called the next morning he said he had time to think about it and while it was here, why didn’t we go ahead and repair the clutch problem. I told him the car was ready to be picked up. The clutch was on us….
Johnny B somehow made it up to the National Corvette Homecoming event this year accompanied by a friend. He looked relatively well all things considered. He was only able to stay for a few priceless minutes but before he left he shook my hand and looked me in the eye and said “Thanks Jimbo.”
Johnny B was a true friend. He would call just to ask if I was OK. If there was anything he could do for me. Only a few weeks ago those calls stopped so I called and left a message which was not immediately returned as usual. I knew something was amiss.

Yesterday, I was participating in the Corvette Assembly Plant’s Christmas Parade exhibit when I got the call. Saturday morning, Johnny B won his last race. He has beaten us all to our final destination, wherever that may be.
During next years’ ZR-1 Gathering, we will be placing our memorial brick at the NCM and once again Johnny B will be number 1 to have his brick placed adjoining the memorial. I’m sure Doug Johnson won’t mind being #2….

Our deepest and sincerest sympathies to Rita, the family, and all of those who will miss that firm handshake, those sincere blue eyes, and that warm charming southern voice asking us how we’re doing or if he can do anything for us.
God Speed, Johnny B. God Speed…..
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399

Last edited by vandornjim; 12-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #2
FU

Default Re: So Long, Johnny B

Johnny was a great person. I fell lucky to have known him. My sincerest heartfelt thought's go out to his family.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #3
2ZR1S

We are thinking about the Biffle family. I wish I could have autocrossed with him for many more seasons. Great guy and family.
You will be missed Johnny, by many people.

Jon Robertson
Jon R. Member #490
1992 ZR-1 Arctic White/Red
2008 Z51 Silver 6 spd (Daily driver)
2ZR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #4
GrayZ

My Heart is broken,

Johnny Biffle was a class act,

And i for one will never forget him
He was one of the first people i met at my first gathering.
We drank a few Bud's in the parking lot, talked about our cars, and dreams.
Johnny was a Racer, Autocross, drag racing, didn't matter, he loved his
ZR-1.
He could takes your's and beat his and take his and beat yours, with a slight smile, and hardly any trash talking.

I couldn't make the 'Gathering' this last year, and it seems that is the only time i got to hang out with him, the year prior,on the last night of the gathering, while most of you slept,
Johnny and i saved the world, one beer at a time

My deepest heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family.

RIP .... Johnny.... see you on the other side....
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote