ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 08-15-2006   #1
gaijin

Default Road America: The Circuit

ROAD AMERICA: IN THEIR OWN WORDS

Elkhart Lake, Wis. - Road America is considered by many as one of the finest road courses in North America, if not the around the globe. It's long, fast, flowing and has everything the best sports car drivers in the world could want. As the American Le Mans Series returns to the 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course this weekend for the Generac 500 at Road America, here's how just a few Series drivers feel about this classic circuit:

James Weaver, Dyson Racing
"When you go to Road America, you get the sense that the founders of the track had a great idea and executed it well. The fact that it holds up so well through Wisconsin winters shows how well engineered it is. It follows the contours of the land - you are going somewhere as opposed to driving around in circles. It is well thought out and, like all classic tracks, has elevation change and a variety of corners. It puts heavy demands on braking and is a track of contradictions in that you need a lot of downforce for the corners and as little as possible for the straights. So it is a challenge to set up the car.

"It does have that European flavor - especially driving through the trees going toward Canada Corner. Some compare it with Spa. But at Spa you have French fries and mayonnaise and at Road America you have Bratwurst and corn on the cob! So, like all great tracks, it has its own unique flavor."

Duncan Dayton, Highcroft Racing
"Road America is the American Spa. They're very similar in that they are both fast, sweeping tracks with lots of elevation change. Eau Rouge and The Kink are both turns where you have to hold your breath and then will your right foot to stay flat on the gas."

Jorg Bergmeister, Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing
"Road America is my favorite track on which the American Le Mans Series races. For me, I think it is more like the Nordschleife (the "North Loop" or full 15.14-mile, 84-turn traditional Nürburgring course in Germany) than to Spa. Spa is very smooth and has elevation changes like Road America but it is now like all the F1 tracks. Not like it was. I can't say exactly why but Road America has always reminded me of the Nordschleife, which is my favorite track in the world. I think it is because both tracks are naturally embedded into the landscape. It is just really nice to drive it. It is very smooth and flowing and it's quick."

Mike Rockenfeller, Alex Job Racing
"Road America is a great circuit; it has a nice combination of fast and technical sections. The run from the exit of Turn 8 all the way to Canada Corner is one of the best in racing. It is also a track that is really untouched from its original design. It retains some really great sections, especially the fast kink down right before Canada; it is a fast part of the track that can really improve your lap time if taken just right."

Liz Halliday, Intersport Racing
"In length, Road America and Spa are very similar. Road America's Kink is slightly quicker than Eau Rouge. But Spa has a lot of elevation changes and very technical corners. Road America is like a classic European circuit, more than any of the other tracks we race. That's probably why it's my favorite course in America."

The Generac 500 at Road America, Round 7 of the 2006 American Le Mans Series, is scheduled for 2 p.m. CDT on Sunday, August 20. The race will be televised live by SPEED at 3 p.m. EDT, and MotorsTV will broadcast the race live to Europe from 9 p.m. to midnight CET. American Le Mans Radio and IMSA Live Timing & Scoring will be available at americanlemans.com.
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #2
ffvetteman

Default Re: Road America: The Circuit

Great article!!

That was a great race!! Plus the Vettes came in 1st and 2nd in class!!

I drove my vette on Road America and it is a fun track to run on. Of course, I wasnt getting the speed that the C6-R is running, but fun none the less.
ffvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote