ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-25-2006   #1
ima66/74

Default newbie here looking at a ZR1 advise please

Hi everyone just joined to see if i can find some good info. There is a ZR1 for sale in my area and i would like any advice i can get. Thanks in advance

I saw an ad in today's paper for a 1990 ZR1 39000 miles red with black/grey interior. mechanic's special been in storage last five years. needs new owner with time and interest to finish repairs. Low mileage very good overall shape.

I called and talked to the wife of the owner and might go see it tomorrow. The info she had was that it needs a rear axle and possibly a fuel pump. plus other small items need attention. It is like 5 minutes from my house so i will probably go check it out tomorrow and take pics.
I am in New Castle DE

duhhhh forgot the price it is $16,000

Ok i went and looked at the car. It doesn't look bad at all. Could use some cleaning up since it has been sitting. Hasn't been tagged since 01. He is the second owner and has had it about 14 years. The rear problem, according to the owner, is just that the gears whine. Has a set of 4.09 and says they are pretty loud but apparently he got a set of 4.10 of some other kind that are supposed to be quieter that need to be installed. He thinks it has a bad fuel pump as there is no fuel pressure. So the car doesn't start. Has no pipes from the cat back on it right now. Also has the service ride control light on. Has a set of drag radials that goes with it. Right now we are waiting to here back about a job my wife is hopefully getting if that came through i would seriously consider trying to buy this. Meantime just wanted to give anyone in the area a heads up. Lab i asked him about selling outside the area and he preferred to keep it local for now.

Only took a few pics was kind of tight in the storage unit it was in. What does everyone think is this car worth the money.....what are the chances that only the fuel pump is bad and that it wouldn't be like opening a can of worms. what about the ride control that is probably pricey to repair?

Last edited by Z Factor; 06-26-2006 at 06:13 PM.
ima66/74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #2
tccrab

Default Re: newbie here looking at a ZR1 advise please

Be very careful.
16k is a little steep for a non-op ZR1.
It seems doubtful that BOTH fuel pumps have gone at the same time.
It's obviously been raced, which is not really that big of an issue, as long as the owner took good care of it and didn't make any really big mistakes.
I'd offer him a lowball number, say 10K for the car as it sits.
Tell him you'll pay his full price if he's willing to get it running.
If you're serious about the deal, offer to help him get it running, under the condition that if it runs, you'll pay full ticket.

Good luck!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #3
BBBAD94ZR1

Be careful with this one. Look on Zr1.net for a car.
Just my 2 cents.
Ray
Old 06-26-2006   #4
ima66/74

Thanks Z i was just being lazy last night lol. I have been looking around different sites for info. I did see that if a Z sits in storage for while that the fuel pumps could go bad. I think i am going to wait it out and see what happens with the wife's job then go from there. I would ask to see if we could put the pumps in and get the car running before i would seal the deal.
ima66/74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #5
Z Factor

Smile Re: newbie here looking at a ZR1 advise please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima66/74
Hi everyone just joined to see if i can find some good info.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I transferred your post and pictures over here rather than having you link a CF thread to here.

I think you will find plenty of great info here if you are in the market for a KOTH.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #6
Z Factor

I forgot to include this link to the Registry For Sale section.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_sale.htm

While you are not likely to find any for $16k in that section, there are some great ZR-1's there. It took me close to a year to find just the right one, so take your time unless a great deal pops up.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #7
WB9MCW

I agree 12 to 13k tops for a non runner! Does look good though!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #8
rkreigh

as posted on the CF (man we need to get more traffic here). hold out and pay 2-3 k more for a pristine car. repairs on the zr1 can get very expensive and a "non runner" can turn into a nightmare and end up costing you way more.

if you are going to buy the car to part it out, go for it. or, if you have the $$$ and want to take a risk it COULD be an OK deal. but for my money I would buy a car that you can drive and enjoy right off the bat. there are plenty out there. the early cars are the biggest bargains out there if you find the right one. don't be afraid of a few miles, the cars that are driven often and well maintained are often in better shape than a car that has been sitting.

like a well trained athelete, the ZR-1 likes to run!!!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #9
8upZR1

Fuel pump is $70 + 1/2 hour. ($140 for 2) If you were selling this car and you knew it would run with a fuel pump would you not invest this to get a better price? Sounds fishy, but maybe the guy is queer. ( By that I mean strange)
Old 07-25-2006   #10
Jim Jones

I agree with Ron. Find a 1990 that is running. They can be had for only a couple grand more than what he wants for a non-running car.

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote