ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-21-2011   #1
xlr8nflorida

Default ASR VS NON ASR Z's

So I know what ASR as my 92, and my 93 LT'1s had/have it.

My Z does not as its a 90.

Do the guys with the ASR like it? Does it make you accelerate faster without wheel spin? What happens if you have a good set of Drag Radials?

Are your times better with it on or off?
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: ASR VS NON ASR Z's

I always thought it would be a blast to have a car that would break the tires loose with very little effort....................until I bought a ZR-1 with 15+ year old tires.It got old real quick like the time I was stuck behind a stalled car at a green light with cars exiting the freeway.Had to make a move before I got stuffed so I pull around the stalled car right away tires go,shift into second same thing.The cool part,hooked slightly sideways looking out the side window as Im trying to keep up with traffic.So from a safety prospective I can see how it would come in handy at times.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #3
USAFPILOT

It is not launch control...with it on you just keep it under control. It is nothing like modern systems that calculate and apply the max power vs available traction. The ASR on our cars just sense wheel spin and then kill engine power to stop it, then the power comes back on once you have grip again. It is there to keep you from spinning it out on wet pavement or from doing an inadvertent smokey burnout. I leave mine on most of the time, but if I want to run it from a dead stop hard most of the time I will turn it off and feather the throttle on my own.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #4
Locobob

Most people will be faster with it off, it's old nanny tech - not modern performance enhancing tech.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #5
sammy

i think that someone new to drag racing it would be helpfull as a kind of training tool on how to leave the starting line .more benificial with street tires than drag radials. i have had a brain cramp a couple of times at the strip and forgot to turn it off . (everytime the car shuts off it resets and you must press the button to turn it off) the car will run 12.20-30s with it on and has run a best of 11.94 with it off and good foot modulation
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #6
Kevin

drove my buddies 93 lt1 with it and hated it
Old 01-21-2011   #7
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
drove my buddies 93 lt1 with it and hated it

I agree, I do agree though on my 92 and my current 93 LT1 it is helpful in the rain - it can actually prevent you from getting sideways in rainy situations as it does not take much gas to get that way. Particularly if you are pulling out at an angle and misjudge a fast oncoming car and you wind up giving it some gas. In my experience, it can get hairy quickly like that. With the ASR you can accelerate quicker without the wheel spin etc or the car going sideways.

I was curious how it is in LT-5 car has the hp, power, torque is all different.

It seems about the same as the LT-1 etc.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #8
USAFPILOT

So....there is a switch to turn ASR off but it is normally on when you start up?
And ASR is NOT on any 90' ZR1 or 91' ZR1?

Yes, left side of the wheel on the dash there is a button with a car and two squigly lines under it depicting burnt rubber tire tracks I guess. When you push it the idiot panel will illuminate a light that says ASR. If you have the ASR light ON the system is turned off.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #9
XfireZ51

I would have liked to have had the Yaw control found on the Z06s at my last track outing.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #10
QB93Z

You are correct '90 & '91 no ASR, '92 - '96 yes ASR

When you drive an ASR C4 for the first time, it can be a surprise. When the ASR activates, it actually forces the throttle shut and you feel it in your right foot. The gas pedal pushes back at you. I believe that the ASR system also activates the ABS and applies braking to the spinning wheel. (correct me if I am wrong).

I leave ASR on except when I am drag racing or am doing spirited driving in a place where I am sure I won't get damaged if I get out of control.

I had ASR OFF on a '96 LT4 and a wet patch of road put me in the woods. I believe today that ASR would have reacted fast enough to keep me out of the trees.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote