ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-20-2010   #1
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Question from a new potential owner

hey members,

Wanted to get a variety answers for this potential owner.

Hi
I wanted to ask a present day owner of a ZR1 a few questions about the cars. I'm just doing some research on these cars they sounds very awesome and I'm very interested in having one soon. I was wondering how maintance costs for one of these ZR1's is like. Is it very expensive, or about average. Also I know these are sports car, but just wanted to get some figured on the real world fuel economy on the street and freeway driving. If you could help me answers these couple of questions I'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mathew

Any input would be great!

Thanks

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #2
Aurora40

Default Re: Question from a new potential owner

I get about 16-17mpg driving to work. I get about 25mpg driving to BG. If the drive includes lots of steady-state cruising, they do well. Stop and go, they use fuel.

As for maintenance costs, I can't think of an 80's-90's exotic car that is anywhere close to the ZR-1 in terms of affordable maintenance. Maintenance costs are inline with an L98 or LT1 powered Corvette. What is Matthew's perspective for "normal" maintenance costs? If he has a Corolla or something, it probably costs more as the engine takes more oil, has more spark plugs, is a sports car, etc.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 12-20-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #3
tccrab

Matthew:

If you're seriously considering a ZR1, let me be the first to welcome you to the "Brotherhood of the Beast".

The best advice I can give you on the purchase is to buy a car that has been cherished and loved by it's current owner.
Buy one that has a few miles on it that has already had all the "usual stuff" taken care of.
Remember, the car is already going to be at least 15 years old, and things go wrong.
Earlier year models have problematic fuel injectors that will eventually need replacing.
Leaky oil cooler pipes are a common problem with all years.
Certain engine internal parts are made of nearly unobtanium, however thanks to great guys like Jerry @ Jerry's Gaskets, that is currently being cured.
Luckily, the LT5 was purposed engineered and thus is nearly bullet proof.
The rest of the car is typical GM, and some parts are easy to find, some not so much.
If you plan on modding the car at some point, consider buying the car already modded.
You'll save BIG $$$ if you pony up now and buy the monster 415 stroker already built rather than build it later.

Gas mileage, hmmm... can't say anything about that.
I've never looked.
I suppose it all depends on your right foot.
The only reason I look at my gas gauge is to determine when I need to put gas in.
How far a tank gets me is of no concern to me.
I drive my Z for the sheer joy of automotive excess and finesse.

This is my definition of "PermaGrin".

Bottom line is:
Buy the car.
You will not be sorry.
A ZR1 is the absolute BEST "Bang For The Buck" car that you can buy today.

Even if you do nothing more than dust it off and wax it then stare at it in your garage, the PermaGrin it brings is priceless.

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #4
secondchance

I have owned 2 ZR-1s since 1991 (except between 1996-1999) and logged more than 200,000 miles between these 2 cars.
Maintenance cost has has been minimal namely because I, along with a lot of help from this forum and forum members, I learned to service this car. This becomes crucial when it involves the LT5 motor. Not because the motor is finicky but simply because there arn't a lot of mechanics familiar with this motor. I think most ZR-1 owners will agree that servicing the LT5 is not that difficult once you become familiar with it.
Compared to, say, BMW owning and maintaining ZR-1s (rember 200,000!) have been outright reasonable!
As for the gas mileage - this ain't no Prius. Figure 13 mpg for rush hour commute in DC.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #5
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Gas mileage, hmmm... can't say anything about that.
I've never looked.
I suppose it all depends on your right foot.
The only reason I look at my gas gauge is to determine when I need to put gas in.
How far a tank gets me is of no concern to me.
I drive my Z for the sheer joy of automotive excess and finesse.

This is my definition of "PermaGrin".
I'm glad I'm not the only one to whom this applies.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #6
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Great advice guys!

I emailed him a link to this and hope he posts up!

ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #7
tomtom72

Hey Dave did you give Matt a link to the maintenance section over at the mother ship? He should have that one also as he can see all the good info to get a feel for the answers to his Q's and even some Q's that he may not have thought of yet.

TC has it in a nut shell. I also fall into his "gas mileage" school of thought. However I can attest to 26.6 mpg round trip to the gathering last year, and that figure includes all the driving I did at BG....including Jingle's check ride thru the twisties....around town it could get 17....but it won't if you get my thought on that Matt.

To quote our beloved Rick from NJ..." you can't drive this car that way! ( he was politely giving me driving instructions ) Ya gotta keep the rpms up! I always like to keep the rpms up! The motor runs better that way!"
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote