ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-08-2010   #41
Nacho_ZR1

Thumbs up Re: 432 RWH!!! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Made just one pass before that leeeetle oil leak I couldn't find until then, suddenly became a not-so-little leak. The low oil pressure switch gave out and oil shot all over the headers.

Traction is going to be the next challenge, along with re-setting my rev limiter to 7500 ish(?), and maybe some gears. She slipped most of the way thru first, and I hit the rev limiter before I could react to the shift light. Second gear slipped most of the way thru the tach, and I hit the rev limiter again in 3rd at about 200 feet shy of the trap.

So, I've got some work to do before next season: Tires and rev limiter re-set at least. I console myself by remembering that in spite of everything that went wrong, it ran a 12.6 at 117.x mph. She's got the potential. Just have to dig it out now.

P.
Oh man, was this with the stock tires???? You'll definitely be in the 11's with some sticky meats back there!
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]1992 ZR-1 #483
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Dark Red Metallic[/COLOR]
[U][B]Mods[/B][/U]
-Jeal headers
-Stock exhaust with X-pipe
-4.30 Gears
-Corey Henderson tune
-375 RWHP[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Nacho_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #42
sammy

Default Re: 432 RWH!!! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1 View Post
I'm just now reading this post but all I have to say is W O W!!! Very impressive! Especially considering you don't have a stroker.

I wonder if Corey Henderson can achieve similar results - considering his shop is about 4 hours away from me. It seems that one of the biggest differences was the tuning on the dyno.

Have you taken it to the track yet????
Nacho , corey is an awsome tuner. he ported my injector housings and plenum on my 90 that along with jeal headers (that he can also make for you) fidanza flywheel and the ugly flowmaster exhaust that was on the car, got my car to 409.9 rwhp and 373.3 tq. i have since changed the exhaust to a custom dr gas system ,xpipe and spin tech mufflers .it now has dynod 426.1 rwhp and 380.6 tq . car also has 4.10 gears and has run a corrected 11.709@123.55 mph using the drag time correction method . i beieve he and marc are the 2 best tuners out there . plus he owns and loves the zr1 have a 368 that runs way fast . his pricing is very fair and his work first rate . i have twice driven 3500 miles round trip to have him tune both my zr1s .being so close to him is a nobrainer to have him help you extract the maximum hp out of your car.jmho
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #43
Nacho_ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Nacho , corey is an awsome tuner. he ported my injector housings and plenum on my 90 that along with jeal headers (that he can also make for you) fidanza flywheel and the ugly flowmaster exhaust that was on the car, got my car to 409.9 rwhp and 373.3 tq. i have since changed the exhaust to a custom dr gas system ,xpipe and spin tech mufflers .it now has dynod 426.1 rwhp and 380.6 tq . car also has 4.10 gears and has run a corrected 11.709@123.55 mph using the drag time correction method . i beieve he and marc are the 2 best tuners out there . plus he owns and loves the zr1 have a 368 that runs way fast . his pricing is very fair and his work first rate . i have twice driven 3500 miles round trip to have him tune both my zr1s .being so close to him is a nobrainer to have him help you extract the maximum hp out of your car.jmho
123.5 MPH!!!!
[U][B]Mods[/B][/U]
-Jeal headers
-4.30 Gears
-Corey Henderson tune
-375 RWHP[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 12-09-2010   #44
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
123.5 MPH!!!!
Well, I believe with the GY F1-GS-D3 315/30s and stock 3.45 rear, 7200 rpm (stock rev limit) gets you to 120.x in 3rd gear...So, ya see the problem I think (mathematically speaking) a 4.33s might work for a 500 hp motor. But, after 4.10 (from my experience) it detracts from the drivability factor...which is 99.9% of my driving anyway. 4.09-4.10s is prolly where I'll come down.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #45
Nacho_ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, I believe with the GY F1-GS-D3 315/30s and stock 3.45 rear, 7200 rpm (stock rev limit) gets you to 120.x in 3rd gear...So, ya see the problem I think (mathematically speaking) a 4.33s might work for a 500 hp motor. But, after 4.10 (from my experience) it detracts from the drivability factor...which is 99.9% of my driving anyway. 4.09-4.10s is prolly where I'll come down.

P.
Grrrreat. So u are saying I'm going to regret my 4.33 gears on a stock motor with exhaust???
[U][B]Mods[/B][/U]
-Jeal headers
-4.30 Gears
-Corey Henderson tune
-375 RWHP[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 12-09-2010   #46
Hammer

Talking Re: 432 RWH!!! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Grrrreat. So u are saying I'm going to regret my 4.33 gears on a stock motor with exhaust???
That's what I mentioned. Too steep. Some have taken the 4.10's out because of that.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #47
sammy

my 90 with the 410 gears goes through the lights aprox. 6700 rpms and @2000 rpms on the freeway is doing 72 mph .white car with 392s goes through the lights around 62-300 and is doing 76 mph at 2000 rpms . i like the 392s for cruizing and they are a little easier to launch at the strip than the 410s . i am considering trying the 3.45s at the strip just to see if i can improve my 60fts and with 1 less shift ,i am wondering if the car might actually et better . have never run with the 3.45s at the strip .. i am also going to go to a eaton gear type locker in the white car as it seems like the clutch pack is going and like the thought of a gear type . other c4 racer have used it and love it. the best part of the lower gears is when you are cruizin around in town , dont have to shift as much .
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #48
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
The ultimate ratio for the strip is one that strikes the best balance between all the other factors (60 foot time, hp, rpm, #of shifts vs. average torque (acceleration)) and gets across the finish line in the shortest length of time. All things considered, you'll have to test it and see where your rpm ends up at the finish line and decide which way to go.

As for driving in traffic, a stick shift is more of a PIA than the rear gear, IMO. I've driven with 3.07s to 4.11s in traffic, and if I had to choose, the 4.11s would be better than 3.07s, believe it or not. (Less clutch wear and you can idle in 1st at a slow speed, whereas idle even in first gear with 3.07s will keep you pumping the clutch - a LOT (believe me).

Bottom line? You'll have to see what the car and you can live with. 4.33 might be perfect for your combination of factors. You might like it just fine. In my case, adding 100 hp to the rear wheels has put a new wrinkle in things.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote