ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2006   #1
Aurora40

Default Some money to spend...

My wife and I have sort of "allowances" each month to spend, and generally we allow any sort of work bonus type stuff to be spent on personal things. The rest of our financial planning/etc comes out of our regular salaries. It's not perfect, but she's less savings-oriented than me, and it works ok.

Anyway, so I've already set aside my allowance for new tires. But I recently got a nice bonus from work, and I'm thinking about spending it on the ZR-1. I don't have to, and don't want to spend just to spend. But I'm considering some stuff. After the various governments help themselves, I'll have about $2-3k to spend.

So I'm thinking along these lines:

Blow it all on some nice wheels like Dymags (either "gen"). This is sort of appealing because I like them, they should last forever, they weigh less so it's sort of a performance mod. But I don't like shelling out that kind of money on something largely aesthetic. I'm not really a bling kind of guy. I'd like to have them, I think they are cool, but don't want to pay for them, if that makes sense.

Flywheel/clutch upgrade. This is kind of appealing to me because it's very sleeper. Adds power but no one would ever be able to tell. One issue is where to have it done? Drive far to a known tuner like Vette Docs or Haibeck? Or take a chance on a local place like Tony's Corvette Shop in MD? I wonder because the Z had a flywheel balanced to the engine and whatnot, there's a bit more to it than a swap on a regular C4 ZF, isn't there?

Exhaust upgrade. I kind of like the sleeper effect of stock, and I actually like the sound of it. I also really don't like shiny tips on black-molding C4's. The Corsas appeal to me in design, but not the look of the tips. B&B is somewhat better looking, but I absolutely don't want a droning car. My '87 droned like mad and I grew to hate it. I could maybe do headers on a stock exhaust, or a stock '93+ exhaust? I need to retain AIR and cats, though. Not sure headers would even be worth it on a stock exhaust, though? I really don't want to commit to a $1000 exhaust system without hearing it on some cars first also.

Brake upgrade, but in reality the stocks work fine for me. Maybe some stainless lines would be good, and possibly some new pads. I don't care about the bling look of slotted/crossdrilled. A hugh pie-plate filling the wheel is enough for me.

Or I could just do nothing significant. Maybe get some Supercars instead of GS-D3's and damn the expense... And I've thought about the '94+ Lear seat swap so other people can sit in the car more comfortably (I'm a bean pole, so I like the stock seats a lot). Maybe rebuilt Bilsteins for the heck of it, and get my CD player fixed (I never use the radio though).

I could probably do the flywheel and maybe headers or a whole exhaust depending on how it priced out. I'm not too sure I want to do headers myself, it seems like a huge pain...

Any ideas or thoughts? On one hand I of course always want more power (I want to eventually do a head package on the car, but staying 350 is fine with me), but at the same time I can hardly ever use the power the car has now. It's really a lot to have on the street. Two gears puts you in reckless-driving speeds... I like having a clean, attractive, fun car. It will mainly be driven on the street just to drive, though I still want it to be streetable and not beat me up. I plan on hitting the drags now and then because I think it is fun, not because I am uber competitive about it. It's a cheap way to safely open the car up for a bit. Road courses sound awesome, but I'd hate the wear/tear and risk to my car. Though I could spend the money on a driving school adventure. I'd love to do that, but they are so pricey.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 02-25-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote