ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2004   #1
thxalot

Default ZR-1 Purchasing Advice

Hello ZR-1 fanatics,

I am considering the opportunity to join your illustrious ranks, but would like some of your advice first.

Although new to the forums here, I am an old Vette fan who loved the C4 when it first came out. I remember hanging the 4 page C&D foldout on my wall as a kid. Now a friend of a friend is selling a '90 ZR-1 with 28k and red on red coloring. No mods. One accident - low speed truck hit the Vette's door when making a left turn from a stop. Both tops. Supposedly runs well and looks good, but it's across the country, so I won't get to see it.

The owner wants $22k delivered to CA, or $20k if I make my own arrangements. I don't relish the $1-2k cost of transporting it and could drive it, but that's putting a quick 3000 miles on this baby. I also don't care for red. I would much rather have a more subtle color. I'll take dash over flash every day.

My wife is ready to kill me, but has relented to giving up $15k and I think I can talk her into $18. Now for the questions:

• Have any of you brought a ZR-1 into California? What's involved in passing smog? or registering it?

Should I drive it or truck it? How much is the 3k miles worth?

What do you think of the price? I've been doing a lot of research. KBB is $17.8-$21k depending on how you get it (I prefer wholesale ;-). ZR-1's on Ebay almost never reach their reserve price. When they do it's usually for a price below blue book. NADA prices are similar to KBB, and the few other ZR-1 owners I've contacted, who are looking to sell, tell me it is very definitely a buyers market.

What can I expect to pay for insurance and up keep? This will be a 3rd car (making the $$ justification tougher) and not a daily driver. I'll probably drive ~3000 miles a year and only when the sun is out.
    Lastly, the baited question . . .

A friend ('71 350 drop-top) suggests skipping the ZR-1 and putting the same money into an older C5. "Almost just as fast, better appointments, more comfortable, more space, nicer ride," etc. etc. he says. What do you guys think? Which is the better car and why?

Sorry for running on a bit. This is a sizeable chunk of change to spend on a toy, and I want to have my ducks in a row. But in the end, what a great toy to have, right ?!?

Thanks for any help and advice,

-Burt
thxalot is offline   Reply With Quote