ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2021   #1
RichieDMD

Default I Bought a ZR-1!!!! 1995 #121

So, I first came here early last year (not long before the shutdown) with an interest in learning about ZR-1s. I made a long post about my goals and what I was thinking and I received a bunch of replies with a ton of information. You can see it here: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31442

I owe a big thank you to all of you who gave me advice and info as I was learning and looking.

At the time, I was wanting an earlier ZR-1 for a couple reasons...but the more I researched, the more I came to the conclusion that later was better.

I ultimately came to the conclusion that what I wanted was a 1994 or 95 (preferably 95) Torch Red ZR-1. I wanted an original car, lowish-moderate mile driver in good condition. I wasn't really concerned with interior color...any would do if the rest of the car matched but I will admit that Red/Red was more red than I wanted.

I started looking seriously a couple months back...watching websites like BaT and keeping an eye on eBay and here. A red/red 1994 sold a few weeks back with 21K miles for $35,500 (plus premium) and I considered bidding but I let it go (frankly, I couldn't get my wife to have me a 100% green light and I wasn't going to do it without one).

Speaking of my wife, she was fine with me buying one but she told me I needed to part with one of my other cars to make room. It was more about the space than the cost...but apparently 3 cars is my current max. At the time, my "collection" comprised of my daily driver (2017 BMW M3) and two "fun cars" (1993 Camaro Z-28 Indy 500 Pace Car Festival Car, 2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition).

Basically, I needed to commit to selling one of the Camaro's. In the past, I had reached the conclusion that the Pace Car was the one to go...and had listed it for sale a couple times before being unable to go through with it once offers started rolling in. My wavering on committing to selling it impacted her green lighting the 1994 ZR-1 (she knew full well that I would get the ZR-1...and then "not be able to sell" the pace car...she knows me).

Not deterred, I continued to look for a ZR-1 and followed up on a couple cars that just weren't "right." At the same time, I did list the 1993 Camaro Pace Car.

I made a WTB post on the Corvette Forum a couple weeks ago figuring the chances of something coming out of it were low...and within a couple days I was contacted by a guy in California with a 1995 he was considering selling. 1995, red/beige, 38K miles. Car is not a double Dunn car and it has a transparent top only.

We ended up making a deal that I felt was very fair and the car is now mine.

I haven't had a chance to look at in person, but I've closely examined the photos, maintenance records, and had a mechanic friend look over the images and data. The car looks good. It also recently passed the California smog testing so it clearly runs well.

Meanwhile, I got a very fair offer on the Pace Car about 10 days ago. The guy is an older gentleman from the east coast who just wants a car to enjoy with his wife for Cars and Coffee. Seemed like a really nice guy and a good home...so I accepted the offer. The car was picked up last week. I miss it, but it was time.

As for the ZR-1, I'm hoping the shipping company will have it here this weekend. But, we will see. It's always a wait.

Here are a few of the sellers photos. I will post more photos when the car arrives.

Last edited by RichieDMD; 09-01-2021 at 10:30 AM.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote