ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2020   #1
RedWolf ZR1

Default 1992 ZR1 #285 Goes to Colorado

Posted on the Corvette Forum but wanted to share my experience acquiring this 1992 ZR1 #285. The hunt started after acquiring a beautiful Red on Red 89 spd with 29K miles. The same weekend I found locally a 1995 Admiral Blue Black interior ZO7 6Spd with 32K miles. Both cars are in great condition needing very little. Having 2 Corvettes and a 1984 Cadillac restomod I thought I was done! But like most of us I constantly check on FB Marketplace and CL for the next deal, I started searching for a "Budget" ZR1, one that looked good, had some service history, and not a garage queen. Ironically it didn't take long to find one that fit the bill! I Found this car on FB Market place, had been up for sale for sometime showing a recent price drop. As fate would have it another CF member looked at the car a few weeks prior and gave it a good review but mentioned it felt down on power. After obtaining some more pics and conversation with the seller we made a deal and planned to pick it up the following weekend with the help of my brother in Austin. The car was as described, we started the drive back from South East Houston to Austin and discovered the rear brakes were not letting go, had hoped a few miles would cure it but to no avail! Luckily U-HAUL had at truck and trailer available just a few miles away. Once we got he car back to his place we put it on the lift to determine the brake issue. Turns out the master cylinder was seized, with the piston stuck half way in the bore. We did a full brake job and oil change in addition to the master cylinder. Also discovered why the car felt down on power, simple vacuum leak at the cruise control actuator. After a few days left Austin and headed to Plano, I discovered I had no cigarette lighter power, after a through cleaning and locating the additional fuse boxes on the passenger side under the dash I was back in business. After a couple of weeks in Plano I headed home to Parker Colorado. The car did great, averaging almost 25mpg, very comfortable seats and compliments at every fill up. Now home, doing some additional cleaning and planning next steps, needs a windshield due to delamination, weather stripping, and couple of amp rebuilds. Planning to get Haibeck's performance chip and take care of a couple of maintenance items. Thanks for letting me share and feel free to ask any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200623_180506.jpg (174.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20200623_180115.jpg (120.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20200623_180211.jpg (162.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20200609_184730.jpg (137.5 KB, 61 views)
RedWolf ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote