ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2020   #1
jw63

Default Electrical Troubleshooting / Bad Alternator?

Hello all -- looking for some help diagnosing an electrical issue.

Purchased the car last year and installed a new battery over the winter months.

Recently I've seen some low voltage readings while driving. Voltage appears to be normal after starting the car (14V range) but once returning to idle at a traffic light, voltage drops with a turn signal load (voltmeter ticks/pulses up and down with light) and also drops significantly if the fans kick on while at idle (I'd guess down to 11-12V range). All of this happens more frequently with heavier load on the battery (i.e. lights on, radio on, ac on, fans on, brakes/turn signals on). I doubt this to be normal operation?

Is this sign of a failing alternator, or could it just be a bad ground somewhere? Battery terminals are clean but I believe there are 2 ground points on the back of the engine that should probably be checked. I purchased an ACDELCO rectifier for the alternator but have not installed it yet.

I've also been receiving a INFL REST light (code 26) frequently. I had cleared the code last year but it just now reappeared. Sensor area seems to be pretty dirty and needs to be cleaned up, but not sure if the problems could be related at all.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
'90 #413 Red/Red Sold
'90 #1583 Red/Red
jw63 is offline   Reply With Quote