ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2020   #1
RichieDMD

Default I Think I Want a C4 ZR-1

So, I'm thinking about venturing into the world of Corvette's for the first time...but there are a lot of unknowns for me so I thought I would ask some questions and try and better understand these cars.

Full disclosure, I'm a lifelong Camaro guy. I have always had a Camaro as my daily driver (a 1996 3.8L through high school/college followed by a 2002 SS 35th Anniversary LS1 M6 for the last 12 years). My dream car was and is a 1969 Camaro. I bought one in 2003 right out of high school and owned it until last year. I worked on it and did my best to take care of it...but with college, grad school, career, wife, kids, ect. the money wasn't there to do what I wanted with it and the car just sat. I decided I should sell it and get something a little more modern and reliable for a weekend car. My kids wanted to take it to local car shows and I just felt that with little kids...something easier to manage was a better option. So, I sold the '69 (and I plan to get another someday) and bought a car off the "list" of cars I had always wanted.

So, I bought, you guessed it...a Camaro. I bought a 1993 Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car and I really liked it...at first. I love how it looks and I love the attention I get (and the kids love it too)...but I don't love driving it. I quickly realized that because it was the same generation as my daily driver (a 2002 LS1 car) that it felt very much the same...except it was slower, an automatic (like all the pace cars), and had a far worse ride and feel. There was nothing "new" about driving it for me...it was basically just a worse more boring version of the car I drive every day. As a result, I don't drive it very often. After one year of ownership...I'm ready for something else.

So, I have been giving that "something else" a lot of thought. I still want something more modern (so not a vintage carbureted car) that is gonna be simpler to maintain as I have a lot on my plate right now. I thought maybe an early Viper...but I've never been a Dodge guy. I love 1990s cars since I was a kid back then and I keep going back to the C4 ZR-1. I remember them as a kid...they were American Supercars. The more I look at them now, the more I like the look. They have aged well (at least in my opinion)...and the price is so reasonable for them. They are a steal.

Now, I have never owned a Corvette. But the more I think about them, the more I think a C4 ZR-1 is exactly the right "next car" for me to get...to replace the Pace Car Camaro. I love the history and the story behind the Lotus designed motor, I like the uniqueness of the car (I always want something a little "different" even if its subtle)...and I think that the C4 ZR-1 fits that.

I guess what I am looking for is just good general references. Build numbers, options, ect. I want to really learn about these cars. My guess is I will keep the Pace Car through this summer and then look to sell it. That also gives me time to save a little cash because the ZR-1 is a bit more expensive. What quirks do they have? What issues should I watch out for? Is there major differences in the different years? Any advice for someone who wants to dive into this car with no Corvette experience. I'm really just out to learn about the car right now so when the time is right I can make an informed decision.

Thanks.
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote