ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2017   #7
Roadster

Default Re: Changing the spark plugs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
YIKES!

IIRC, plugs only require (something like) 19 ft# of torque. Stripping the aluminum threads immediately came to mind - even if they are "only siezed".

On installation, I dab the tip of a finger in some anti-sieze goop, and make a single swipe (perpendicular to) across the threads before reinstalling the plug.

In 55 years of changing plugs I've never had one back out, nor require more than a gentle push on the ratchet handle to break it loose. (And, once the initial torque is broken, the plug usually unscrew with twisting the extension with my fingers...usually.)

Obviously, those threads didn't strip out; no harm done. But, I know you'll like the anti-sieze when you remove them next rime.

Yea, when I went to undo I said much more than YIKES!.....one of the PO's really wanted to make his strength known in the future.....I have used this size breaker bars enough to now have the feel of how much pressure to apply when getting something loose. As mentioned, I wouldn't do this to another owner's vehicle even if asked....if I mess up on my own vehicle, oh well!!! but as you can see, they came out fine. I did use a slight amount of anti-sieze for the next time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I started usng a dab of oil instead of anti-seize. W anti-seize I found that I needed to snug up the plugs fairly often.
I have never used oil for this purpose, not saying it wouldn't work....and have not performed a snug-up on the plugs, yet!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-07-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote