ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2017   #1
billschroeder5842

Default While my "quick connect" gently weeps...

I'm getting intermittent seeping of coolant around the "quick connect" fitting hoses on thermostat assembly on my 91. I'm pretty OCD about my Daily Driver car (aren't most of us???) as I do a under hood inspection at least every other day so I just noticed this.

I've check the assembly and I get it "weeping" from the connections with a slight trickle down to the thermostat housing. It is not big (a single drop on the floor per night) but I have my eye on it.

I have the factory thermostat in the car, a new radiator and a Haibeck chip so my fans come on at 205. The engine runs well and cools completely withing spec.

I noticed that the housing and fittings seems to have the metal with a weird "scaling" effect as if it were pot metal. I'm not sure that means anything.

So... anything to worry about immediately? Is there a "usual" fix of this as in a gasket gone wrong? Is this something that will just get progressively worse? Oh, it only seems to weep after the engine is shut off and not circulating.

Also, how the hell do you "undo" the quick fitting? The FSM is a bit vague on the procedure?

I'm not looking to "force" a fix as I can live (but yes it will bother me) with a couple of drops, but I'd like to know what to do if it ever comes to it.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote