Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2013   #23
vandornjim

Default Re: endurance record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pirate ZR-1 crew...just like old times.
Ah alas, boys and girls. There comes a time in life when you just got to know when to stand back and let the young guns get their chance. The good 'ol LT5 was a unique item some 20 years ago but technology has definitely gained in those years.

The LT-5 had (and still does) have a breather problem whereas unusual amounts of oil are piped up into the plenum and ultimately, down the pipes into the combustion chambers. The LT5 also has an incredible rotating mass weight which could be trouble in the long run. Anyway, lots more where that came from.

The cars of today are much lighter and more nimble, not to mention the drivetrain packages. In our old Hot Rod days as a kid, we were happy with 350 real horsepower. We had to pump up the compression, add wicked cams and we got 4 mpg. Ohhhh those days at Lions Drag Strip.

Todays cars are a complete package. No breather problems, 650hp, quite, 30mpg, and 200 MPH. Of course lots and lots would have to be done to make a production car compete, if possible, but there's a whole lot of good starting points with the new technology. Heck, Graham and his boys are getting over 1,000hp!!! (I think 1400 too )

Every once in a while, usually on Weeknds, there are strange sounds coming from across my fence with GM, which sounds a whole lot like a huffer going off. Once in a while I walk over and catch a glimpse...OK, maybe 2....

There's plenty more to come folks.

I just love to take the 'ol Weekndr out once in awhile and listen to that engine. No matter how hard they try, they can't duplicate that sound of 32 valves on a cool night in Bowling Green....
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399

Last edited by vandornjim; 10-29-2013 at 03:54 PM.
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote