ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2012   #1
Funracer

Default Worked on O2 wires, now no fuel pressure

Hi all

I have owned my 91 ZR1 since 93. Today I decided to cut some
solder splices from an extension added to the right side O2 sensor wires many years ago. I had added 18 inches or so to the sensor wires in order to rerout the wires around the headers I installed back then. The solder had corroded green underneath the heatshrink and began to
crumble. My plan was to cut them out and replace with crimp splices. I read somewhere that solder does not work well with O2 sensors but
crimps are OK.

In any case, the car started as normal, I drove it onto my ramps, shut off the ignition. Next day I slid under, cut out two of the six splices and then remembered I had not
disconnected the battery. I unhooked the negative post and then completed my splice replacements.

When I went to start car to remove it from the ramp the starter engaged as normal but no start. Starter tuning engine but will not fire.

Since then I have checked: ECM shows 12s only no other codes, CCM codes C12 only (good?), no CCM ERR message, spark is good, added 5 gallons fuel, all fuses in main and aux panels good,
replaced the MEMCAL chip with a spare that was working when I took it out, and charged battery.

On each start I can hear a fuel pump run for 2 seconds so I assume FP relay OK. Both FPs and all FP and tank system filters were changed last fall. Attached fuel pressure guage and it reads zero PSI while cranking.

Here are my questions:

Could clipping 2 O2 sensor wires with key removed but battery attached cause this or is it just a coincidental failure?

If I can hear the fuel pump run for 2 secs how can the fuel pressure be zero, assuming my test guage is working properly. After many start attempts I never smelled any fuel in the engine compartment or anywhere else.

If I mucked up the resplicing somehow wouldn't the car at least start? O2 not part of start (open loop) parameters until idle (closed loop) if I remember right. The car should start even if they are unplugged.

So the crux of it is I can hear pump(s) at key on but no fuel
pressure then or during cranking.

Any ideas? Thanks

Neil in Ft. Walton, FL
Funracer is offline   Reply With Quote