ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 NCRS for ZR-1s

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2011   #1
Miles

Default general restoration questions

hello and thanks for taking the time to read his and hopefully respond.

A bit of history, I have restored or modified/customized several vehicles over the years, including two Corvettes.

I had a bass boat gold 1986 with a 383 stroker with the 4+3. It was my daily driver,
but I got t-boned at a red light.

You know how it goes, insurance paid me 2k over the purchase price, but what about all the other money I have put into this car? I have the shop manuals, I traced down and bought documentation, date correct original parts. I may have one of the last GM right door upper trim parts, still in the original bag. All the originals parts I had to replace, sitting out in my garage.

Seriously though, I do miss that car, it was fun to drive. Once the frame is bent, believe me the car is never the same.

Now I was looking for another driver and I found a 1990 red ZR-1 with 67k for mileage. 20k. Solid car.

A car I have wanted since maybe 1988 but more likely 1989. The buzz! It was crazy when this car came out. I am sorry I do not remember the date. I was driving home from University and went past a GM dealership. I saw the rear end thought the glass at the light, ******* wait a minute! OMG they have a King of the Hill! In the showroom was a red ZR-1. I sat in it. I asked the salesman if I could start it.

No documentation, Car fax clean, seems like it was well maintained. As far as I can tell, modifications/repairs/maintenance include Borla Exhaust, a different shifter knob, a Kenwood CD player, battery and tires. Maybe a windshield because there is no delamination and there should be. Also the seats just look too good. There is overspray in a few places, now maybe it came that way from the factory, or the dealership or a former owner has touched it up or maybe it has even been reapinted.

You see I have found and nurtured a few gems in my life, but I have also been burned.

You live and you learn.

I am also a NCRS member.

So, here is my quandry, basically two choices.

Do I bumble my way though and then have it judged

or do I have it judged and hopefully the NCRS people will tell me exactly what it needs to be top flight and then do the restorations.

You see I have no documentation, maybe more than maintenance such as the starter or water pump has been replaced.

Anyways, what would you do? Once again I do thank you.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote