ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-17-2018   #11
onethumb

Default Re: Solution for Parts Availability Concerns

I only wish that some of my other cars were made in such a high volume as the ZR-1.

Many casual owners will give up, and a lot of ZR-1's will fall into disrepair because of that. The gap between a "good" and a "poor" ZR-1 will grow. But there will always be ways to get parts, and an enthusiast community to help find them, and a small cottage industry to support the enthusiasts. I speak from experience!
Old 08-17-2018   #12
DRM500RUBYZR-1

To Rain man.

Have a very nice day!
M

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 08-17-2018 at 08:36 PM.
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #13
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post

"Where there is a will there is a way," sounds good, but there is a monetary factor and manufacturability factors. GM could spread the investment cost in the ZR-1 over the entire GM product line. Jerry can spread the investment cost of some new parts over the revenue from the other parts he sells. That simply won't always work.

The other big factor for some is, how much value the car will retain with a pile of aftermarket replacement parts. If you're going to drive it until the wheels fall off, it is just a really expensive to maintain sports car and many people decide to sell to buy a C5 Z06. For others they want to drive and enjoy the car while maintaining value in originality. That will be difficult.
Interestingly, apart from money I dished out to bore & stroke when the head gasket failed and custom brakes (because Wilwoods just looked great), infortainment system (for better sound and keep up with the time), and freshening up the interior (because original seats started to look too stressed), only parts I went through in 163,500 miles of driving are water pumps, alternators, starters, fuel pressure regulator, ASR motor and typical maintenance parts - nothing extraordinarily expensive. The fact that I drive the car at least once a week (or 5 times a week when it's sunny the whole week) may have something to do with it.
Matter of fact, most parts for our Z are standard C4 parts. A few LT5 specific parts, even when inflated due to scarcity, is relatively reasonable when compared to MB SL550 parts.
All I am saying is that it's all relative. Yes. I am concerned over certain LT5 specific parts, periodically check Ebay, snatch it up and squirrel them away. But, so far, it's been relatively easy.
As an investment, very few cars are worth betting on. I simply see my love of Z as means to hold on to my youth and means to accomplish my dream of making it better than when I bought it back in 1991.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #14
Ccmano

I’m not concerned, if it bothers you sell it or don’t buy one in the first place.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #15
Jagdpanzer

Default Solution for Parts Availability Concerns

Collectively we have been able to find suitable solutions for every parts and technical challenge that have come up so far.
With the dedicated and talented owners we have here I am quite confident we will continue this trend for the foreseeable future. May not always be NCRS kosher but they will work as good if not better than the originals and the cars don’t seem to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #16
Z51JEFF

Supply and demand,when the supply gets thin somebody-Jerry- will step up and fill the void. And when Jerry stops doing it somebody else will step in and continue the cycle. It all comes down to money,how much ya wanna spend. When was the last time a popular car became extinct because no parts rendered it useless?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #17
Young1

Amen Phil. Those of us that are enthusiastic about the ZR-1 patiently keep them alive. If and when I become frustrated with mine I know where I would take it, to the garage of another enthusiast with experience. To enjoy any old car you must learn where to find or fab parts. That is just part of the hobby.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018   #18
Mr.Yuck

I believe I can solve all of your future worries so I'll put this out there right now on this form. When you can't find parts for your ZR-1 anymore because they're no longer available anywhere and you can never drive your car again?? Just send me a (ZR-1 for sale email) I will buy it from you for Pennies on the dollar apparently because it will be worthless. I will fix it and I'll be grinning ear-to-ear every time I drive your old Z. How's that for optimism.

Sent from my 2PS64 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Mr.Yuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018   #19
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck View Post
I believe I can solve all of your future worries so I'll put this out there right now on this form. When you can't find parts for your ZR-1 anymore because they're no longer available anywhere and you can never drive your car again?? Just send me a (ZR-1 for sale email) I will buy it from you for Pennies on the dollar apparently because it will be worthless. I will fix it and I'll be grinning ear-to-ear every time I drive your old Z. How's that for optimism.

Sent from my 2PS64 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
If you get more than you can handle let me know. I'll step in as your back up!!
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018   #20
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Collectively we have been able to find suitable solutions for every parts and technical challenge that have come up so far.
With the dedicated and talented owners we have here I am quite confident we will continue this trend for the foreseeable future. May not always be NCRS kosher but they will work as good if not better than the originals and the cars don’t seem to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Well said, Phil. While I don't still own a ZR-1, I owned ZR-1s for the better part of 20 years. I meet regularly with Marc Haibeck and still go to some of the ZR-1 get togethers. I never had any unfixable problems over 80,000 miles with my Zs, and I always know that someone in this group can usually come up with a solution to any issue. I can certainly understand some people will be reluctant to own a C4 ZR-1 (which unfortunately reflects in current prices of them) but I for one would not have any concerns that I couldn't get a ZR-1 fixed. These cars are now about a quarter of a century old, but we have a vibrant and active ZR-1 community and there were a fair number of the cars made. Imagine the problems facing owners of some mid 90s cars with more limited production and the same early electronics (certain Ferraris come to mind). Ithink overall this group is in pretty good shape. Wish I were getting younger and had more garage space available for another ZR-1.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote