ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-26-2019   #1
wutanec

Default Looking for Source of an Oil Leak

Hello,

I have been experiencing a sudden oil leak - a serious enough to wet the pan and drips to the transmission and cat. So I lease a lift to check out the common areas mentioned on the forum. I cleaned the bottom of the car thoroughly with a can of brake cleaner to see where the leak is coming from.

1. Oil Pan: looked dry and no more oil was leaking - I tightened the bolts anyways to make sure.
2. Oil Pressure Regulating Valve Cover Plate - looked dry, tightened the bottom bolt only as the top one was impossible to see or reach.
3. Header Stud - was not leaking, looked like the oil on the CAT is from oil deposit on the pan.
4. Oil Pressure Switch - looked pretty wet and leaked a little bit after I cleaned it.

So I am narrowing it down to the Oil pressure switch but it seems like there is a bigger pool more toward the front of the car - and drips down to the front of the leaf spring structure (picture attached). Could this pool start from the switch? or is there something else I should look for? Also, with my limited mechanical skill, I could not see any way to access a tool to remove the switch. is there any trick to remove this thing?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6155.jpg (181.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6154.jpg (147.9 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by wutanec; 06-26-2019 at 03:45 AM.
wutanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Looking for Source of an Oil Leak

Have you checked crankshaft sensor? My leak comes from crankshaft sensor o ring. Just haven't had a chance to get her on a lift lately.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019   #3
wutanec

I had to look up where the crankshaft position sensor was haha. It is the one close to O2 sensor correct? If that is, yes I checked and its not leaking from there. The pool seems to start in front of the motor.

Last edited by wutanec; 06-26-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2019   #4
SLCKZR1

It probably is the oil pressure switch. Seems like a common issue on our Z's. Great post on the subject if you use the search option. Just replaced mine using the suggestions on that post, but shortened the removal socket tool by cutting off a couple inches, then rewelding on the nut. I can send you a pic when I get back to my shop if you would like. With the modified removal socket, about a 20 minute job.
SLCKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019   #5
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCKZR1 View Post
It probably is the oil pressure switch. Seems like a common issue on our Z's. Great post on the subject if you use the search option. Just replaced mine using the suggestions on that post, but shortened the removal socket tool by cutting off a couple inches, then rewelding on the nut. I can send you a pic when I get back to my shop if you would like. With the modified removal socket, about a 20 minute job.
This is the way to bet. I had a "mystery leak" that popped up out of no where. It was the oil pressure switch as the seal got brittle and cracked.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019   #6
wutanec

I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it since it looks like it is leaking. I will replace it and report back.
By the way, when it failed, how bad was the leak? enough to drip 1 or 2 drops per minute after driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
This is the way to bet. I had a "mystery leak" that popped up out of no where. It was the oil pressure switch as the seal got brittle and cracked.
Old 06-26-2019   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutanec View Post
I had to look up where the crankshaft position sensor was haha. It is the one close to O2 sensor correct? If that is, yes I checked and its not leaking from there. The pool seems to start in front of the motor.
Crankshaft sensor is on the passenger side, upper block tucked under in front of (I think) the motor mount. You have to look up from under to see it.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019   #8
rossgn49u

My 7k mile 91 had oil pressure sensor leak a couple years ago...similar symptoms.
94 ZR-1 Blk/Blk (Sold)
91 ZR-1 DRM/Tan (Sold)
90 ZR-1 Red/Red (Sold)
rossgn49u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019   #9
wutanec

So I just replaced the swtich. What a pain! but it has been replaced so we will see if that fixed the problem.

For tightening down the switch, I just tightened it until the seal was bunched up and felt firm through the ratchet. you don't tighten all the way through the thread with this one as you would with bolts correct?
Old 07-05-2019   #10
A26B

That is correct. It is threaded NPT which is a tapered pipe thread. over-tightening can crack aluminum. You done good!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote