ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-10-2012   #1
mike100

Default Running a little hot, but only when a/c is on --UPDATED

Facts:
-------------------------
-Ambient temp 90-100F
-Gets hot when stuck in traffic- (0-20 mph).
-Coolant runs at 232 deg F with a/c on which is a couple of needle widths from the red zone on analog gauge.
-cools down when going 50 mph with a/c on
-cools down even faster at any speed when a/c off
-Will heat up parked in the shade with a/c on (car already hot from driving in traffic).
-chip programmed to run both fans over 205 degrees.
-orig water pump
-coolant full

It reached 232F (peak of 234) with the a/c on and would not get hotter. The car will also cool itself down to 205 degrees (a/c off) parked with the fans running until they turn off. Both fans spin, but I have not checked the bearing on the r/h one yet, but the left fan spins full speed.

theories-
Needs a new radiator? it was out 18 months ago and was totally cleaned at that time.

Garbage blocking a portion of the rad air flow? the condenser is totally clear though.

Even though it does not overheat per se, 230 is a touch warm and it pings a lot running like that. I did not notice any thing like this last summer.

Last edited by mike100; 08-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Running a little hot, but only when a/c is on

I'd definitely check to be sure the fans are running at full speed, I'd also suggest seeing how much current the motors are drawing.

If it's been a few years since you've disassembled and cleaned the cooling stack, you're probably due for it.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #3
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
I'd definitely check to be sure the fans are running at full speed, I'd also suggest seeing how much current the motors are drawing.

If it's been a few years since you've disassembled and cleaned the cooling stack, you're probably due for it.
I had the radiator and oil cooler out in Feb 2011. The radiator was power flushed, but I suspect that the total capacity has diminished. I think it is still on the original unit. I will probably look at the fans when the car cools off.

Last year I drove the Phoenix to get Bill B to rebuild my ZF and it was maybe about 90 degrees or so in April and I had no issues then. Maybe there is a layer of dirt I can't see behind the condenser, but if I take the radiator out, maybe I'll just get a new one this time.
Old 08-10-2012   #4
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
You want to have some fun (I think this is what you were doing since you apparently have digital feed back on coolant temperatures).....Use the HVAC system to see a digital readout of coolant temperature. Press and hold both [fan up] and [fan down] buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Then press [fan up] untill you get to 16. Then press center fan auto button.

Now having said that...I am running around 200 deg F but does get up to 220 deg F once in a while if I sit idling with AC on a hot day (100 deg F). I have a Ron Davis Radiator and I have eliminated TB coolant.

I shall wait to see what others have to say on this subject especially here in CA where we have 106 deg F tomorrow and above 100 deg F all next week. It will be interesting to hear some real life HOT WEATHER ZR1 Coolant test results here in CA this next week.

Maybe keep AC off when stuck in traffic
Yeah, I was actually looking for the hvac readout trick, but then I remembered the tech-1 rides in the storage bin, so I plugged it in and purposely drove out again into rush hour traffic to see if the temps stabilized.
Old 08-10-2012   #5
VetteMed

Stock replacement radiators are cheap enough -- probably makes sense to just replace if there's any doubts.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #6
scottfab

You haven't said what other mods you have besides the chip (running both fans full on after 205deg).
And when you run at 10-20mph and it heats up what gear are you're in?
It maybe time to upgrade to a Ron Davis unit.

From what I've read it seems about normal for a stock system running in hot ambient temps.
These cooling systems were not the best. Known issue for quite a while.
I run stock and religiously clean the front of the stack (I use a screen in front) and I see high temps like yours in the same situations. However because I have an almost stock chip I keep the AC on to keep the fans on. When I see 230deg I back way off normal diving and pamper it.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #7
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
You haven't said what other mods you have besides the chip (running both fans full on after 205deg).
stock manifolds and oem thermostat (1 year old). a couple of extra degrees of ign timing in the chip, but it is actually close to stock in the mid range load cells to run 91 octane. A little manifold porting, but BLM's are pretty close to 128 at cruise rpms so I would say the car is effectively stock.

I drove it (hard) down to the cars and coffee meet up spot this morning and the gauge would not exceed 50% so obviously the water flow is functional. I think either I found the limit of the cooling system and all the cars may run hot in this condition, or my system is partially compromised. I will probably pull the rad when I get a chance in the coming weeks. bottom line- it is 22 years old.
Old 08-15-2012   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
stock manifolds and oem thermostat (1 year old). a couple of extra degrees of ign timing in the chip, but it is actually close to stock in the mid range load cells to run 91 octane. A little manifold porting, but BLM's are pretty close to 128 at cruise rpms so I would say the car is effectively stock.

I drove it (hard) down to the cars and coffee meet up spot this morning and the gauge would not exceed 50% so obviously the water flow is functional. I think either I found the limit of the cooling system and all the cars may run hot in this condition, or my system is partially compromised. I will probably pull the rad when I get a chance in the coming weeks. bottom line- it is 22 years old.

I suggest just a stock replacement. Like you said its 22 years old I did this a few years ago for gp. The fins has so much sand and silt in it not to mention the leafs, debris and other crap all affecting cooling. The plastic ends were swelled a little bit as well. Make a project out of it as its a great time to replace you belt and hoses while your there if needed. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #9
sammy

mike really take a look at the condenser. its very easy for these thing to get a film of dirt in them and it really plays havoc with the air flow as i found out . also if you have a radiator comb run it though the condenser. mine was really beat up on the bottom .
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #10
lakemeadzmonster

I drove thru areas that hit 116 degree's this week. Living in Las Vegas it happens. With A/C on and going at least 45mph needle stays close to middle with a 180 degree thermostat. But no problems driving for hours on end if ( continually staying moving through that temperature ).

If you slow way down or get into stop and go it heats up pretty fast. The asphalt temperature is we'll over 140 degrees, look the car is inches from it, the air is super heated as it is drawn in as we'll.

I try to turn the A/C off in stop and go and at stops and it helps keep it reasonable. I will check it using the radio for a gauge for tempature accuracy and see what it is in the upper range.