ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-19-2022   #1
thestrawhead

Default Running really rough. Ugh

So, against my better judgment I let 90 Zr-1 set too long and let the gas get old. I added some fuel treatment and octane boost as I ran out what gas was in it. It seemed to run pretty well after starting it frequently, then my clutch went and it sat for about two months. Now it is back together and running awful and can't get the check engine light to go off. Any help with this would be appreciated. These are the codes from my mechanic: I got the car back together, finally got correct plenum gaskets. Ran it for quite some time. It never smoothed out and check engine light never went out. Still has code 31 for camshaft position sensor and code 36 for ignition control system. Several hours trying to find a camshaft position sensor which have been priced around $200 to $300 which is insane for a cam sensor, but they are sold out and unavailable. I found one douche that actually has one and it's priced close to $1,000. Will send pics. If it also ends up needing the ignition control module, those are about $1,300 new old stock but also hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
thestrawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022   #2
thestrawhead

Default Re: Running really rough. Ugh

I should also add that It has 23,000 miles and the injectors were replaced with stainless steal ones at 16,000 miles.

Old 10-19-2022   #3
Young1

The cam position sensors do fail with age. They are no longer available. Jagpanzer on this site has developed a replacement at a reasonable cost. I have had his prototype in my car for five years now. That solves code 31.
Code 36 I need to spend some time in the factory service manual. The modules rarely fail. However the pins, connectors, wiring can be easily damaged during plenum removal and reinstall leading to a code. Can any others chime in?
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022   #4
thestrawhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
The cam position sensors do fail with age. They are no longer available. Jagpanzer on this site has developed a replacement at a reasonable cost. I have had his prototype in my car for five years now. That solves code 31.
Code 36 I need to spend some time in the factory service manual. The modules rarely fail. However the pins, connectors, wiring can be easily damaged during plenum removal and reinstall leading to a code. Can any others chime in?
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Old 10-20-2022   #5
WARP TEN

While it sounds like you are capable of doing your own work, I might suggest that you consider sending the car to Marc Haibeck. He is only about 5 hours from Avon Lake and since we are coming upon winter, I assume you won't be driving a lot on the near future. The catch is whether he has the room in his schedule to take your car--he is sometimes booked well in advance. But probably worth a call to him, and in any case he might be able to offer some advice on your issues. I know that when I got my ZR-1s, they went right to him for a thorough going over and when they came back they ran perfectly. Alternatively, he has a fair amount of helpful information on his website that might offer some insights into your troubles. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022   #6
thestrawhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
While it sounds like you are capable of doing your own work, I might suggest that you consider sending the car to Marc Haibeck. He is only about 5 hours from Avon Lake and since we are coming upon winter, I assume you won't be driving a lot on the near future. The catch is whether he has the room in his schedule to take your car--he is sometimes booked well in advance. But probably worth a call to him, and in any case he might be able to offer some advice on your issues. I know that when I got my ZR-1s, they went right to him for a thorough going over and when they came back they ran perfectly. Alternatively, he has a fair amount of helpful information on his website that might offer some insights into your troubles. --Bob
Doesn't sound like a bad idea. We will probably give it a go ourselves, if nothing more than to get the learning experience. But if it gets too frustrating and expensive, I may go that route. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-21-2022   #7
Young1

If you really want to learn and develop skills get your hands on the factory service manual. They are available on eBay reasonably. The pros use them so why shouldn?t we home garage guys? I did learn from a Haibeck cd how to properly learn to pull a plenum.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022   #8
viper107

Injectors will stick,tap on them with a tool while it's running, cam code could be from misfires
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022   #9
viper107

Meaning, sitting for a few years, injectors will stick and misfire
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
Old 10-21-2022   #10
viper107

Or a mouse chewing a wire