ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-30-2020   #1
Erik

Default Changing Early ZR-1 Instrument Panel to Late One

Hi gents.
Has anyone changed the interior instrument panel from the early orange on grey to the late white on black? I've seen bits and pieces of the changes, like I believe there are some wiring changes between the early gauge cluster and the later one?

Is there a thread somewhere that goes into this? Searched around and didn't come up with anything.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #2
Erik

Default Re: Changing Early ZR-1 Instrument Panel to Late One

Just of out of curiosity, has anyone switched a pre-90 digital one into a ZR-1? Must be an even bigger challenge, as there was no production Corvette with a 7000 rpm redlined tach.

Old 11-30-2020   #3
secondchance

I believe, most likely, 91 (and perhaps 90) cluster, headlight switch, radio bezel and shifter bezel along with door handle trims can be replaced with 92 (black/yellow) or 93 (black/white?) pieces.
Headlight switch and main cluster for 94 and 95 most likely will plug in as far as I know. However, 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel will not work due to early cars having flying buttress between the center console and passenger seat.
If you are willing to replace the dash board, you can use 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel.
Finding 93 to 95 ZR1 specific instrument cluster (because of 7,000 plus rpm) is going to be a challenge and expensive. Also, finding clean ZR1 specific radio bezel with secondary key is going to be a challenge.
If you have time and money, anything is possible.
Even then, splicing in pre-90, all digital instrument would require some electronic wizardry.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #4
secondchance

I bought my first ZR-1 in October 1991. When 94 came out, I seriously considered doing exactly what you are contemplating including euro style carpet but gave up due to cost involved. Eventually, in 2000, I picked up a 94, drove it until 2009 and spent the next 7 years rebuilding and modifying to what I wish the car to be and stay relevant with ever improving performance of newer cars. Even had the motor rebuilt (twice) with 4? pistons/liners, offset ground crankshaft (from 3.66? stroke to 3.75?), heads and IHs ported, modified intake camshafts, bored out throttle body and higher compression. On top of that,brake conversions with 6 piston calipers up front, 4 piston rear calipers, separate mechanical parking brakes, updated nav/entertainment head unit, so on and so on and so on.
At first I kept running record of dates and cost on excel spread sheet. Once I passed $20,000, I followed Jagdpanzer?s suggestion and deleted the spread sheet.
One thing for sure, never had so much fun with any car I have owned since 1974. And, most likely, will never have so much fun period!
It all worked out and then some.

Last edited by secondchance; 11-30-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2020   #5
secondchance

If you really get serious shoot me a private message followed by a phone call. Also, I have a 94 Bose radio (black with white lettering) sitting on my parts shelf. Radio bezel and shifter surround can be sprayed in flat black or wrapped with 3M body wrap vinyl. It took me awhile but I solved recreating lettering for the secondary key with .1? Helvetica bold font vinyl lettering.
All can be done. Challenge is the instrument cluster.
Old 11-30-2020   #6
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
If you really get serious shoot me a private message followed by a phone call. Also, I have a 94 Bose radio (black with white lettering) sitting on my parts shelf. Radio bezel and shifter surround can be sprayed in flat black or wrapped with 3M body wrap vinyl. It took me awhile but I solved recreating lettering for the secondary key with .1? Helvetica bold font vinyl lettering.
All can be done. Challenge is the instrument cluster.
Thank you, sir. Interesting timing, as I'm just looking at getting my radio rebuilt. Hmmmm.....

Old 11-30-2020   #7
Erik

Quote:
I bought my first ZR-1 in October 1991. When 94 came out, I seriously considered doing exactly what you are contemplating including euro style carpet but gave up due to cost involved. Eventually, in 2000, I picked up a 94, drove it until 2009 and spent the next 7 years rebuilding and modifying to what I wish the car to be and stay relevant with ever improving performance of newer cars. Even had the motor rebuilt (twice) with 4? pistons/liners, offset ground crankshaft (from 3.66? stroke to 3.75?), heads and IHs ported, modified intake camshafts, bored out throttle body and higher compression. On top of that,brake conversions with 6 piston calipers up front, 4 piston rear calipers, separate mechanical parking brakes, updated nav/entertainment head unit, so on and so on and so on.
At first I kept running record of dates and cost on excel spread sheet. Once I passed $20,000, I followed Jagdpanzer?s suggestion and deleted the spread sheet.
One thing for sure, never had so much fun with any car I have owned since 1974. And, most likely, will never have so much fun period!
It all worked out and then some.
First question. Euro style carpeting? What's that?

I can see this getting expensive over time. Not that it hasn't already. At least the car was "well bought" as they say, with low mileage and in very nice shape.

I think my first mods will be around suspension. Lots of rough and bumpy roads around here!

Old 11-30-2020   #8
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
First question. Euro style carpeting? What's that?

I can see this getting expensive over time. Not that it hasn't already. At least the car was "well bought" as they say, with low mileage and in very nice shape.

I think my first mods will be around suspension. Lots of rough and bumpy roads around here!
Early cars have sorta fuzzy and a bit shiny carpet. Later cars, I think 94 and 95s, have what Chevy called ?true vette? (I think). Carpet naps are straight and not as shiny.
As for the suspension, 90 to 92 had higher rate springs (stiff) and softer FX3 shocks. Later cars (93-95) have softer springs and stiffer FX3 shocks. Also, later cars sit about 3/4? taller to reduce scraping front air dams due to softer spring. If you want to chase better ride on rougher road, GM addressed this with later car suspension. Again, conversion involves new springs, FX3 controller and later FX3 shocks. Another option is QA1 coil over shocks. Two way control (compression and rebound) QA1s are not cheap and correct poundage of coils, I have no idea.
Old 11-30-2020   #9
Erik

Quote:
I believe, most likely, 91 (and perhaps 90) cluster, headlight switch, radio bezel and shifter bezel along with door handle trims can be replaced with 92 (black/yellow) or 93 (black/white?) pieces.
Headlight switch and main cluster for 94 and 95 most likely will plug in as far as I know. However, 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel will not work due to early cars having flying buttress between the center console and passenger seat.
If you are willing to replace the dash board, you can use 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel.
Finding 93 to 95 ZR1 specific instrument cluster (because of 7,000 plus rpm) is going to be a challenge and expensive. Also, finding clean ZR1 specific radio bezel with secondary key is going to be a challenge.
If you have time and money, anything is possible.
Even then, splicing in pre-90, all digital instrument would require some electronic wizardry.
The early, digital instrument swap would not be a minor undertaking, I bet.

Aside from coolness, seeing as how I have defeated the key anyway (Haibeck chip), I could just use a stock corvette bezel.

I do prefer the flying buttress look of the earlier interior. Hmmm. Decisions!

Old 11-30-2020   #10
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
The early, digital instrument swap would not be a minor undertaking, I bet.

Aside from coolness, seeing as how I have defeated the key anyway (Haibeck chip), I could just use a stock corvette bezel.

I do prefer the flying buttress look of the earlier interior. Hmmm. Decisions!
Early digital instrument panel (1984 - 1989?) will require early dashboard (flat) and corresponding radio bezel and shifter bezel.
Although I have also owned 84 Z51, I have no idea what mod is involved to make it bolt up to 91 vette.