ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-29-2014   #1
Schrade

Default Yup - WIFE IS LOUD!!! (exhaust acoustics)

Jeff was right - THis thing is LOUD!

Outside sounds great. I let a neighbor do a lap around the block after he helped lock down clamps. Sounded great driving off; I couldn't hear it on the back side of the block.

Inside is a different story. What I'm not diggin' so much is drone. It's loud between about 1,200 RPM's, to about 1,800, give or take. Gotta' be way below 40 Hz...

So I'm thinkin' on a few things here, individually, or in combination, to 'interfere' with the harmonic resonance:

1) Pipe wrap the 2 sections where the resonator was, and the X-pipe.

2) New (or additional) sound material under the carpet interior. I stayed with the original material because it 'smelled' new when I uncovered it for Black conversion.

3) Fitting / welding in a free flowing resonator behind the X-pipe (or 2 individual units, space permitting)

Where's Jeff T here; Jeff - did you consider option 3 here? Seems it would be an easy task, if a resonator could be modded for 2 x 3" inlets / outlets...

Of course, option 'b' would work too - turn up the radio

What did you do to take the edge off of interior noise, without hampering exhaust flow?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #2
mike100

Default Re: Yup - WIFE IS LOUD!!! (exhaust acoustics)

Single outlet mufflers will quell the worst of the resonance. The oem resonator was for a slightly higher harmonic and not going to do a lot for the hatchback drone.

I hacked NPP exhaust tips from a C6 and made a control scheme for the vacuum actuation. You'd be surprised at how well it actually works even on louder muffler designs.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #3
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Single outlet mufflers will quell the worst of the resonance. The oem resonator was for a slightly higher harmonic and not going to do a lot for the hatchback drone.

I hacked NPP exhaust tips from a C6 and made a control scheme for the vacuum actuation. You'd be surprised at how well it actually works even on louder muffler designs.
Any snappics of your hardware there Mike?

Karl - 'Get it out'? You mean 'get some hi-temp RTV put IN'? I can see how that might effect harmonics, but all the slip-joints are sealed now...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Any snappics of your hardware there Mike?

Karl - 'Get it out'? You mean 'get some hi-temp RTV put IN'? I can see how that might effect harmonics, but all the slip-joints are sealed now...
Really not trying to be a schmart azz, but featured in the current edition of HOTB is an excellent article WITH PIX that Mike wrote, detailing the entire setup. That article alone is worth your $35 membership - which is required to see the magazine.

Just a thought....

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #5
mike100

Catalysts help a little too.
Old 05-29-2014   #6
Karl

Get the high temp red RTV out. I had a couple of leaks at the collector area.

I plan on using sound deadening material on my interior.

I may also swap the b&b mufflers for the dynomax with the built in noise valve.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #7
Shrek

My first plan was a resonator or resonators in place of the X-pipe.
That is until she said "put the Flowmaster system back on"
So I had no choice but to go with her option on her car!!
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #8
KILLSHOTS

It's loud? Do you have mufflers on it? Is it a daily driver? Mine is wide open, except for the cats, and I can't wait to put headers on it so those "mufflers" are gone too. Still too quiet for me. Oh well, different strokes...

A resonator should help with sound but my understanding is that getting rid of resonance is a VERY difficult thing to do, unless you're installing a "complete" system, such as a Corsa. When we design our own, we can muffle sound but resonance is hit or miss. Best of luck with it, Schrade!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #9
Karl

Yes after putting some miles on the car the slip fit connectors began to leak exhaust. Certainly not loud enough to cause drone and resonance, but it became audible.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #10
mike100

I may repost some form of the information in the HoTB write-up after it has had a chance to be exclusive for a bit longer.

Here's a video of it working on Stainless Works muffs: