ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-19-2017   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default ACDelco vs Denso plug wires

Hi,

I'm looking on RockAuto to find which plug wires I should order and these two are basically the same price. Which wires do you guys use?

Thanks!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: ACDelco vs Denso plug wires

DELCO. Good enough to be OEM good enough to be on my daily drivers
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #3
Young1

I just ordered the Denso. Will be installing this weekend. I will give report.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #4
A26B

Packard was the OEM for the ZR-1. They don't have the ZR-1 silk screening but do have the exact same wire, sheen & color as the originals, if that matters.

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/wire-se...lug-90-95-9b2/

They are about twice the cost but then the ZR-1/LT5 was at least double the cost of the base Corvette at the time.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #5
Young1

The Denso wires fit just fine. Solved my idle and heat soak issues. I recommend them for the price
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #6
MuRCieLaGo

Well I ordered the ACDelco, following GOLDCYCLON's advice. Wasn't sure about the "Packard" brand Jerry so that's why I did not order from your website...

So it solved your idle issue Young1, hmmmmm. I've been having idle problems since I bought the car, I can't wait to install them. Will do,when I come back from the ship I work on now.

Thanks guys!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #7
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Well I ordered the ACDelco, following GOLDCYCLON's advice. Wasn't sure about the "Packard" brand Jerry so that's why I did not order from your website...
I understand your concern. Packard was the supplier for the original LT5 plug wires when the engines were produced and for GM Parts inventory. I don't know who makes the plug wires for ACDelco now, but it's not Packard. AcDelco doesn't manufacture anymore, it's all outsourced.

The quality if the ACDelco wires is probably similar, but the Packard wires are identical to the original LT5 wires, right down to the color, sheen & quality, only the LT5 silk screening is missing.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #8
Jagdpanzer

Packard has been around for a long time making excellent quality plug wires. Back in the day we used solid core Packard plug wires on our natural gas irrigation well engines. They were the only ones that would hold up season after season. Drove AM radios crazy.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #9
XfireZ51

Unfortunately MSD does not offer wire set for LT5 anymore. I still have the set that was replaced by the Magnecors recently.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017   #10
Flyman 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Unfortunately MSD does not offer wire set for LT5 anymore. I still have the set that was replaced by the Magnecors recently.
Are you sure that MSD discontinued the LT5 wire set? Summit still lists a P/N for a set, said to fit the ZR-1. They do NOT fit.

I really HOPE MSD didn't discontinue before I ordered a set.... That would bum me out.

MSD DID discontinue the LT5 wire sets.

But, they offer a custom set that uses LT5 plug boots and they must be cut to length and attach the coil ends. This new p/n is 30839 and is present stock! I checked, several companies list these as present stock. They sell for around $115. The wire separators made for the 8-1/2 mm wires is #MSD-8843.

Last edited by Flyman 27; 05-21-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote