ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 03-01-2011   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Aloha or Sayonara?

Well, after years of off and on building, storage, issues and restoration the Z is shipped and on it way to Japan.

After finally getting it running and hoping for a 520 HP motor (with Stage I camshafts), I can't wait to dyno it and see what kind of numbers a novice, owner built LT5 can do.

Here are some photos at its first night out to a local cruise night on the Windward side of the island.

So here is a photo on its second night out at the 15th largest shopping mall in America (Ala Moana Shopping Center). I took the wife in her second ride in the Z (full of complaints for the ride and sound) to meet the family at Romano's Macaroni Grill. I was very hesitant to leave the car parked for a few hours at the mall, but the location was a good spot where people would always be walking around so there were no issues.

So that was basically it and I did not get to take the photos I wanted to with my limited time left on the island. Then it get shipped on my next post.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-01-2011 at 01:37 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Aloha or Sayonara?

Getting ready to head to the dock..........

Arrival at the Vehicle Processing Center, Sand Island.

Z parked and waiting for processing.

The view as seen by most............

Entering past the guard shack into the secured area for inspection.

I forgot my camera with all the excitement so I did not take any photos and I'm glad the wife was taking these. I had a super cool Hawaiian inspector and we talked about cars and his Harley with all the powder coating work, etc. He did not even mark anything on the inspection sheet and just said, "Brah, you know your car betta dan me so what you think just show me". I had it made and so if there is anything on the receiving end that I'm good to go because he made it appear I had a 2010 model with not even a nick, but heck I have a bunch all over the Z. Here is one of the times being local helps a lot.

The nice thing is my unit that I am going to is handling the offloading and of the vessel and that is what my unit does so I'm good on the receiving end. I am told it will be in a container so it makes me feel a little better. No tears..........

The down side is I might regret the Stage I camshafts as I spoke with Marc H today and they don't do so well with emissions and Japan is very strict so he will do his best to tune me a chip for the testing.

Well, see you folks on the other end and I'll post some photos with the Yokohama Bay at sunrise or sunset later.

Aloha,

Craig

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 05-20-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2011   #3
Hammer

Talking Re: Aloha or Sayonara?

Well I'd have to say your hard work payed of very nicely. The Z looks spectacular from all angles. You will be the "talk of the town" in Japan I'm sure.

When you get over there and get settled, please plan on posting more pics of your build. I know you took the car apart and cleaned and detailed everything.

Let us drool with you over the detailing.

Talk with you soon Craig.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #4
tomtom72

Holy smokes! Craig that Z is just beautiful!

Good luck over in Japan with the new job! Have fun with the car and be safe!

Tom

someday when your back to the USA and settled I need to take detailing lessons from you.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Holy smokes! Craig that Z is just beautiful!

Good luck over in Japan with the new job! Have fun with the car and be safe!

Tom

someday when your back to the USA and settled I need to take detailing lessons from you.
Thanks Tom, I think it is probably nicer in photos than in person. Thanks for the wishes and it is exciting even though I am beat with everything we have to do to leave in the next week and a half. I'm not sure where I will go after this tour in Japan as a civilian, but I do have return rights to my job here in Hawaii. I do want to try moving to the upper 48 so we'll see what comes up then.

By the way, the detailing lesson you want are from none other than Keith (softest diapers in the world) or Rick (Custom King of Zs).

Aloha,

Craog

Old 03-01-2011   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Well I'd have to say your hard work payed of very nicely. The Z looks spectacular from all angles. You will be the "talk of the town" in Japan I'm sure.

When you get over there and get settled, please plan on posting more pics of your build. I know you took the car apart and cleaned and detailed everything.

Let us drool with you over the detailing.

Talk with you soon Craig.
Thanks for the comments John, it helps to make it all worthwhile. I just couldn't get myself to store it for 5 years after all the hard work. It is going to cost a lot to get it registered there (around $3K to $4K at least) and it sounds crazy, but only folks like us would understand. I'll definitely take better photos and post more details.

Old 03-01-2011   #7
WB9MCW

Have a nice trip across the big pond to the other side of the world.

We will look forward to the pix from Japan.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW View Post
Have a nice trip across the big pond to the other side of the world.

We will look forward to the pix from Japan.
Mahalo Big B. I'll be sure to post pixs and keep in touch.

Aloha,

Craig

Old 03-02-2011   #9
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

craig,

congrats and hopefully you will take another trip to the DC area in the next year!!!! Thanks for looking at that car for me and it's a consideration if he gets those items fixed.

Keep in touch and please keep us updated!!!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
craig,

congrats and hopefully you will take another trip to the DC area in the next year!!!! Thanks for looking at that car for me and it's a consideration if he gets those items fixed.

Keep in touch and please keep us updated!!!!

David
Thanks. I hope you can work out the deal and I will be around 1 more week with more time after I get rid the household shipment tomorrow. If all goes well with the competition I mentioned, I will be in Richmond, VA mid May so I'll let you know since that is not too far away.

Craig