ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
bmarcum

Default Testing AC clutch with intake on???

Could I get a little help from my internet ZR-1 friends. Is there a way to test the ac clutch without pulling the intake?

Long story short, I purchased this 14K mile Z (Vin 1965) to replace Vin 103 only to realize that it?s has lived its life as a ?model? not a sportscar. Nice clean car but needs lot of attention to be what it needs to be.

So, I am working bit by bit to make this the car what it needs to be. First issue that is being a pain in the humpernickle is the air conditioning. I have no air. The compressor is not coming in. Not cycling. Just not coming in.

No codes. I have power at high pressure and low pressure cycling switches, so I that is why I am thinking wiring or clutch.

First question just to confirm because I am going from memory (can?t find me FSM). Is Power sent through 25 amp fuse to ac control then through relays then to cycling switches, so if I have power at both cycling switches then there a problem between there and the AC clutch? Is this correct? Anyone have their FSM or a wiring chart?

Is there any way to test the ac clutch without pulling the intake? I have pulled the intake many times (not this car) so if it needs to be done, no issues, but I would prefer not to pull the intake unless the clutch needs changed.
bmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Tim555

Default Re: Testing AC clutch with intake on???

My AC didn?t work, and I had no codes and the clutch wouldn?t engage. Somehow just charging it made it work. I think you?re supposed to get a code on the AC unit for that, but I didn?t.
Tim555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
-=Jeff=-

yeah my first question would be do you know if it has a charge?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
bmarcum

Even if it is low on charge when you jump the low pressure cycling switch the compressor should come on. Mine doesn't. I am just trying to engage the clutch before pulling the intake, but I may just need to pull the intake and do some clean up.
bmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
JerryRig

I just went through this whole process. You can buy and or rent a A/C manifold system(Autozone) and check your high and low pressures. Like -=Jeff=- Said It might have a leak somewhere (while your at autozone rent the A/C dye Injector kit too).

You can unplug the battery wait a couple minutes and re-attach to reset any codes that may have popped up and It should cycle the compressor a couple times before It stops as a failsafe If there is no pressure provided.
JerryRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
dredgeguy

My 92 has had AC issues for the last few years. Works fine, then hit a pothole and it is out. Checked all connections, all were good. Turns out the AC controller which is under the drivers side dash above the gas pedal had some issues with the circuit board. Got the AC controller out and sent to Batee for a rebuild, got it back 3 days later. Installed the new controller and nothing, including no fan. Fan motor fried. Put in new fan motor and blows great but no AC clutch engagement. The tech hooked up the high and low pressure gauges and the low side was reading very high???? He took all the freon out and it was 2oz more than what it should have been. My system held pressure for 30 minutes so no leaks. He put back the correct amount and now everything works great! I had no idea that a little extra freon would shut everything down.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa

Last edited by dredgeguy; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
JerryRig

Hey Dredgeguy, I was VERY hesitant on buying an A/C manifold over the years of wrenching then I finally bit the bullet and got a whole system. Since fixing the Vett I've since diagnosed and fixed my Dodge 5.9(Blows super cold now) and my fridge inside the house. I'm all about saving money where plausible and I've saved a good chunk with doing this bit myself, watch a couple YouTube "how-to's" to gain some confidence!
JerryRig is offline   Reply With Quote