ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 4 Days Ago   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Fires then dies. HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozruss90 View Post
I will try and borrow a fuel pressure gauge to test pressure at the rail, to see what?s going on there.
? reconfiguration of electrical connector ? are you referring to the de pinned plug at the ECM ?
Yes.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #12
Ozruss90

Have tested fuel pressure at the rail and showing between 40 and 45 psi. Checked for any faults at the ALD port by bridging A & B. Only getting code 12, so no faults detected.

HELP PLEASE. I have a Corvette function coming up in a couple of weeks and need the Z running.

Question.. Should the engine start and run if the cam angle sensor was faulty ??? I pulled it out again today ( 3rd time ) just to re check, and it looks as good as new.
Ozruss90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #13
DRM500RUBYZR-1

OK, so fuel is apparently not the issue.
Can you confirm spark?

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #14
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
OK, so fuel is apparently not the issue.
Can you confirm spark?

Marty
It has spark, as it does fire and run. BUT it only runs for a few seconds then dies. So someone is maybe shutting off Fuel or Spark for whatever reason. I don?t know. That?s why I?m here seeking suggestions. Desperate to get this up and running again . 😤
Old 3 Hours Ago   #15
RSLyrick

Hi Russel,

Are there any ZR-1 owners near you ? I would propose an ECM swap test at this point if possible.
RSLyrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Hours Ago   #16
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLyrick View Post
Hi Russel,

Are there any ZR-1 owners near you ? I would propose an ECM swap test at this point if possible.
Closest one would be approx 2 hours away. It?s my previous ?90 ZR-1.
My current non running Z has a Lingenfelter 495 package in it. My old ?90 Z is stock standard. Would this create an issue by swapping the ECM?s ??
Old 1 Hour Ago   #17
RSLyrick

Marc Haibeck has proved that ECMs are interchangeable between different MY.

To my knowledge nobody is capable of modifying the hardware of the ECM itself to add additionnal features, sensor inputs, control outputs. You can only adjust engine parameters with custom chips. If your ECM looks stock (visually) with no weird extra wire harnesses or a different housing, this is then a standard ECM.

So you probably have a custom EEPROM chip for your specific build (engine tuning) but the base ECM hardware should be identical to all of the other ones out there.

That would mean that if you put the old 90s EEPROM into your own ECM and plug the whole thing into the old 90s car, that should allow you to test the supposed faulty ECM in the old 90s vette.

I would not advise to place your ECM with the custom Lingenfelter chip directly into the standard 90s ZR-1 without really knowing what's going on in the chip. The 90s base engine may run poorly or not at all leading you to think that the ECM is faulty but it's actually not.

Maybe your ECM is running an Haibeck chip, you can visually check and then contact him based on the part number for more info. I don't know if Marc sells chips for Lingenfelter build.

I would appreciate if members involved in tuning procedure could confirm this statement before damaging a second vette or a working ECM...this is not a standard use case that we're talking about here.
Old 1 Hour Ago   #18
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLyrick View Post
Marc Haibeck has proved that ECMs are interchangeable between different MY.

To my knowledge nobody is capable of modifying the hardware of the ECM itself to add additionnal features, sensor inputs, control outputs. You can only adjust engine parameters with custom chips. If your ECM looks stock (visually) with no weird extra wire harnesses or a different housing, this is then a standard ECM.

So you probably have a custom EEPROM chip for your specific build (engine tuning) but the base ECM hardware should be identical to all of the other ones out there.

That would mean that if you put the old 90s EEPROM into your own ECM and plug the whole thing into the old 90s car, that should allow you to test the supposed faulty ECM in the old 90s vette.

I would not advise to place your ECM with the custom Lingenfelter chip directly into the standard 90s ZR-1 without really knowing what's going on in the chip. The 90s base engine may run poorly or not at all leading you to think that the ECM is faulty but it's actually not.

Maybe your ECM is running an Haibeck chip, you can visually check and then contact him based on the part number for more info. I don't know if Marc sells chips for Lingenfelter build.

I would appreciate if members involved in tuning procedure could confirm this statement before damaging a second vette or a working ECM...this is not a standard use case that we're talking about here.
Sorry, not up to speed with all this. I?m assuming the Chip is located within the ECM. Is it hard to get to, and identify the Chip?? I would like to do this and then call Marc with my findings
Appreciate your help 👍
Old 20 Minutes Ago   #19
RSLyrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozruss90 View Post
Sorry, not up to speed with all this. I?m assuming the Chip is located within the ECM. Is it hard to get to, and identify the Chip?? I would like to do this and then call Marc with my findings
Appreciate your help 👍

Yes, there is a small compartment/door below the ECM where the EEPROM is stored.

1- Unplug the battery
2- Wear some ESD wrist strap (google it if you don't know what that is) to protect the circuitry from electrostatic discharge from your body to the electronics.

3- Unmount the ECM housing from the backet (no need to remove the 4 way connectors / harnesses). Only if you think that it would be easier for you to work on the ECM.

4- Flip carefully the ECM and lay it down on the (pre-protected) windshield. The ECM is not that heavy but made of metal, if you drop it on the windshield you could damage it. The harness is stiff enough not to let that happen but it doesn't cost you anything to lay a towel on it.

5- A gasket is used between the compartment access door and the ECM housing to prevent humidity from getting inside. Remove carefully the door to not damage the gasket.

6- Remove the small access door and there you can access the chip. If it's an Haibeck you will clearly recognize it thanks to the white label.

Here's a global overview of the process : https://youtu.be/jMkwEe93SYk?t=240

I insist on the fact that you MUST wear an ESD protection device (either a wrist strap or ESD certified shoes, to "ground" yourself. Not like in the above video, gloves like he wears are not considered as an approved protection method. People usually do not know how to properly handle electronics in unprotected areas like your home garage.

You can also pre-call Marc before doing all of this. Maybe he can confirm that you can safely start the old 90s with your current ECM...Nothing to loose getting advice from reknown experts. He can also give you some clear guidelines about your issues in general...

Last edited by RSLyrick; 14 Minutes Ago at 08:25 AM.