ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why I Won't Rejoin (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30037)

MickeyD 12-23-2018 10:17 AM

Why I Won't Rejoin

Gentlemen, a member recently posted a thread about an item he was selling on other sites in the General Postings. I as probably many others, took no offense that he was trying to skirt the rules. The conversation and subsequent replies were of the performance of the item. Moderator then scolded, moved and shut thread down. The thread right next to this was doing the same thing with a car. Had multiple replies and price was discussed many times. This same type of thing happened to me about 6 years ago. I was treated differently than the "well liked" members who were attacking me. After that I didn't rejoin. I think we are grown men here and abide by the rules for the most part. I don't think we need to be protected by moderators to save us from such a "horrible infraction." All the moderator needed to do was move the thread. But close it, geez. I know the OP from the Z community for the last 6 years. He's a great guy will no ill will towards anyone. Definitely not the kind of guy who would break rules on purpose. At least the mods could dole out their justice equally. I'm sure this thread will be closed and no one will be allowed to reply. I will probably also be banned, but after watching this for 7 years and experiencing the preferential treatment for some, that's fine.

I have a sneaky suspicion this is about something else.

DRM500RUBYZR-1 12-23-2018 10:32 AM

Re: Why I Won't Rejoin

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyD (Post 287555)
Gentlemen, a member recently posted a thread about an item he was selling on other sites in the General Postings. I as probably many others, took no offense that he was trying to skirt the rules. The conversation and subsequent replies were of the performance of the item. Moderator then scolded, moved and shut thread down. The thread right next to this was doing the same thing with a car. Had multiple replies and price was discussed many times. This same type of thing happened to me about 6 years ago. I was treated differently than the "well liked" members who were attacking me. After that I didn't rejoin. I think we are grown men here and abide by the rules for the most part. I don't think we need to be protected by moderators to save us from such a "horrible infraction." All the moderator needed to do was move the thread. But close it, geez. I know the OP from the Z community for the last 6 years. He's a great guy will no ill will towards anyone. Definitely not the kind of guy who would break rules on purpose. At least the mods could dole out their justice equally. I'm sure this thread will be closed and no one will be allowed to reply. I will probably also be banned, but after watching this for 7 years and experiencing the preferential treatment for some, that's fine.

I have a sneaky suspicion this is about something else.

Maybe I need more coffee, but could you elaborate further?
Thanks,
Marty

MickeyD 12-23-2018 10:39 AM

Please don't take offense at this Marty, but for right now, I'll leave it at that.:cheers:

DRM500RUBYZR-1 12-23-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyD (Post 287560)
Please don't take offense at this Marty, but for right now, I'll leave it at that.:cheers:

None taken.
Hope you remain with us.
We don't have too many Ruby friends in this world.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for a Healthy and Happy New Year!
:cheers:
Marty

MickeyD 12-23-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 (Post 287561)
None taken.
Hope you remain with us.
Marty

Cool, didn't know you had one also. I'm clueless I guess. Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

I will remain, question is will they let me? [-X

-=Jeff=- 12-23-2018 11:27 AM

:confused:

DRM500RUBYZR-1 12-23-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyD (Post 287563)
Cool, didn't know you had one also. I'm clueless I guess. Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

I will remain, question is will they let me? [-X

As members we agree to subordinate to the Forum and it's moderators.
Their decision then on the post you mention, rightly or wrongly, then prevails.
Banning one, for speaking out however, does not violate anything that I am aware of in the rules.
You simply stated your thoughts.
One would think no offense was committed that would support being banned.

Ruby 181 says Hi to Ruby 112, his older brother.

Marty

xlr8nflorida 12-23-2018 12:00 PM

Mickey,

This is nothing new here. Years ago it was way worse:

1. The website was way outdated.
2. No newsletter was being produced.
3. Shirt designs were marginal at best.
4. No transparency of the board or accounting of financials / Missing funds
5. Resignation or firing of board members.
6. Favoritism/Banning or mob mentality if you spoke the truth.

What was done about it?

Nothing but deleted posts, censorship, private area for members to keep stuff secret. Excuses for non- performance, at least the person ran for office yada yada.

Fast forward to today, very few of the original members, many of who were the most knowledgeable and provided the most articles. Many years with no newsletters after Dwight quit.

Now look at current day, the website is still way outdated and never updated. However, the guy who does the newsletters has done an incredible job and the new shirts look good.

So I guess some owners stepped up and things got addressed.

In the meantime, you lost a ton of good members yet you send an email to come back every year, we are missed. Many of these members were the most knowledgeable and have the majority of inventory of parts. Perhaps, a formal apology would get members to come back or a free year to see if the club is still dysfunctional. I'm not paying $4, $40, or $400 to an organization that runs like Father's day in the Bronx.

The funny thing is its $40 which is a peanuts yet many including myself choose not to rejoin.

You have to ask yourself why do you think that is?

G8nightman 12-23-2018 01:37 PM

What’s wrong with the Bronx [emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

xlr8nflorida 12-23-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8nightman (Post 287569)
What’s wrong with the Bronx [emoji33][emoji33]

There is nothing wrong with the Bronx. I was born there actually :cheers:

It's just a saying, not sure where it came from? :proud:

Mr.Yuck 12-23-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 (Post 287561)
None taken.
Hope you remain with us.
Marty

Hate to see anyone go. Ruby #385

Sent from my Gt-p7510 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

We Gone 12-23-2018 05:41 PM

Just my 2 cents....

I fully understand, I dropped my membership for many years because of some policy's I considered prissy and stupid The worst was no posting links to the other site with a ZR-1 following (was told it gave members here a choice to leave for the other site) even my sig was removed as my pics were tied to it because this site would not host pics for members. But some things have changed not all but enough for me and I do believe it will only get better.

32valvZ 12-23-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida (Post 287571)
There is nothing wrong with the Bronx. I was born there actually :cheers:

It's just a saying, not sure where it came from? :proud:

So was I...:handshak:

Z51JEFF 12-23-2018 09:59 PM

I’ve said it many times,I will NEVER rejoin as long as the place is run as half a$$ as it has been run for years. No offense to the officers that donate their time and effort to run the place but do it like adults and give it 100% and no games. I would love nothing more than to rejoin and support this car we all love but until it shapes up,not a dime from me. From what I’ve seen it’s been in the same shape going on 11 years now. I do enjoy this site but if a better offer comes around I’ll share my time,money elsewhere. If somebody wants to be so petty for what I’ve said here,so be it.

conesare2seconds 12-23-2018 10:47 PM

Guess I’m glad to be a relative newcomer and not burdened by prior experience. Everyone here has treated me well and I had a great time at the 2017 Gathering and plan to attend again this year.

The only hijinks I’ve seen on the board were dealt with reasonably (guy was posting tons of political trollery, no one comes here for that and he wouldn’t stop after being asked nicely). The board seems to put a ton of effort and time into supporting the community.

Maybe the perspective would be different if I’d been around in the old days. Anyway, there’s clearly some history there, not sorry I missed the last great schism or whatever it was.

USAZR1 12-24-2018 12:38 AM

Just imagine how sad it would be if this site went away.

efnfast 12-24-2018 06:20 AM

I'm pleased to see this thread still running, it should.
I've belonged to a couple other forum, not many. I just purchased a ZR2 (now I have a ZR-1 and a ZR2) and I always wish these other forums were run and set up like this one.

tnova 12-24-2018 07:45 AM

The information and assistance I've been provided directly by members and on the forum has been invaluable. We have unique, small production run cars with a limited availability of parts and an even more limited and decreasing availability of knowledge about working on them. This forum and Registry membership is a thin thread of preservation that is invaluable. With our small numbers we can "see" into the personalities of others a little more than other larger clubs and forums, exposing all the good and a few blemishes. Well, as we age, blemishes clear up, as has the Registry. Hats off in salute to the officers of the organization and to all the members who support it and other members.
Tony Nufer - Tnova
'91, #1773

RussMcB 12-24-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conesare2seconds (Post 287580)
Guess I’m glad to be a relative newcomer and not burdened by prior experience. Everyone here has treated me well and I had a great time at the 2017 Gathering and plan to attend again this year.

The only hijinks I’ve seen on the board were dealt with reasonably (guy was posting tons of political trollery, no one comes here for that and he wouldn’t stop after being asked nicely). The board seems to put a ton of effort and time into supporting the community.

Maybe the perspective would be different if I’d been around in the old days. Anyway, there’s clearly some history there, not sorry I missed the last great schism or whatever it was.

I concur. I visit this site often and appreciate it. I also appreciate what the club does (or, what volunteers do) to promote the ZR-1 and events.

I would have struggled with my car's issues if not for the ZR-1.net community. My car is MUCH better (in fact, awesome) as a result of the help I've received here. I would have a hard time thinking of anything to complain about. It's just about 100% positive here. (and I'm glad there are no political arguments).

MickeyD 12-24-2018 10:51 AM

Glad I've started a good discussion. I hope no one takes this as a total slight against the sight. I just felt one member was being treated differently than another. This member happens to be a friend. Aside from that, this reminds me of my Homeowners Assoc. People who have horses can break any and all rules, people who don't have horses are watched like a hawk. Watched this for 19 yrs.
I am originally from SE Texas so when you slight my family or my friends, and think your better than me or anyone else, it's gonna get a terse reaction from me. I see the other thread about selling a car is still up. Marty said we all agree to the rules as the board see's them and that's fine. Just not when some are more equal than others. As I said in my first post and I hope I'm wrong, but I think this about something else. I want to see how this plays out.

Mike

lfalzarano 12-24-2018 11:36 AM

I think this is a great site with many experienced professionals and some like me that ran into issues, but someone came to my rescue!!!

All U All are great members and remote friends.

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2019!

TX '90 ZR1 12-24-2018 02:06 PM

I guess I am considered a "Newbie" here as well. I joined up about a year ago. I sold my previous C4 ZR-1 back in the early 90's and did not have another 'till about the same time I joined.
During my purchase decision and since, I have received what I consider to be excellent advise and help from this forum. As I mention often, membership cost here is returned many times over in a short period of time.
I also try to contribute where I can. I am by no stretch an expert on the C4ZR-1, but have been around the block a few times in rebuilding, restoring and maintaining equipment with some age on it.
There have been a few that respond to some of my comments with a condescending tone. I just remember who they are and understand that there are some that will take a negative attitude towards one that they perceive as less experienced.
This view of life has always been present and, I suspect, will always be. Accentuate the positive and the negative will take care of itself.
I'll take this opportunity to say "Thank You" to everyone that has been of assistance.
And, a Very Merry Christmas to all! :proud:

LGAFF 12-24-2018 03:19 PM

I think things are much improved.....less drama, newsletters are great, only thing I would change is pull in more on the newer ZR-1s

Blue Flame Restorations 12-24-2018 04:12 PM

To all. I made the decision to close the thread and left a direction to go in so the "for sale" item could be listed in the For Sale section. I did not notice any other threads that were similar. Thanks for pointing it out.

BTW, no one is treated differently on this site, regardless of who they are or how many ZR-1's they own...ever.

I stand by my actions as the Administrator of the site.

The item only needs re-listed in the For Sale section. Pretty simple.

I'm also closing this thread. From time to time, we have threads that offer pros and cons of the Registry. I too, feel that it can be healthy discussion but generally runs it's course. I believe we are there with this one.

Merry Xmas to all. Let's get back to having fun and enjoying our ZR-1's!