ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best Sounding Exhaust for the ZR-1 (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=470)

Z Factor 07-29-2006 11:51 PM

Re: Best Sounding Exhaust for the ZR-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBAD94ZR1
Thanks you guys are great. My friend Rick as a 94 z with the bnb system on it.
I will check his out before I buy it. I want the car to sound as mean as it
looks.
Well thanks again.
Ray:thumbsup:

So Ray, which did you settle on?

RPO_ZR1 08-28-2006 12:25 PM

Not to cause controversy, but I think it's all in the 'ear' of the beholder.

I had the original OEMs on my L-83 for years. Well, in my youthful 'boy racer' exuberance, ... I gutted them and then they rattled windows and set off every car alarm within 2 full blocks!!! (I had a fun neighbor back then who was an old B-24 pilot... he would see me on the street, laugh and yell 'contact!'...)

As I got older, I eventually valued my hearing, (and at my wife's request), in '97, I switched the old L-83 to a custom Flowmaster-ZR-1 'race' system (by TPIS), which was actually quieter than my gutted exhaust with reduced backpressure, better top end, -but I still had to wear earplugs... (OUCH!)

So, when I bought my ZR-1 in Desert Palm Springs from the great Jim Van Dorn, it had a Borla system.

IMHO, compared to to the Flowmasters, Borlas have a 'sweet' harmonic sound, but I had long ago stowed away a virgin P.E system, (because Lingenfelter's Car and Driver SB-2, 427 beast had P.E.s.)

... When I asked JVD his prefs, he said "Power Effects", so I swapped the Z over to PE's, but this time decided to save my hearing if possible...

In my experiment, I put the Borla H-resonator at the front of the Power Effects Y-pipe. This produced an exotic exhaust note, cancelled out ALL interior resonance, and I got to keep my exhaust flow, + my ears no longer bleed.

I've been happy, the car sounds exotic and (best of all) I can finally carry on a quiet conversation at WOT, w/o yelling.

The car still sounds great... BEHIND the car.

Another upside is that your presence is not telegraphed to every freakin' 'Barney Fife' ticket trap in the county as you do the triple digit.

Save the Wave!

WB9MCW 08-29-2006 10:11 PM

Welcome to the site RPO_ZR1... very interesting and detailed first post I might add!

RPO_ZR1 08-31-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WB9MCW
Welcome to the site RPO_ZR1... very interesting and detailed first post I might add!

Thank You!

It's an HONOR to finally post here amongst the knowledgeable and true 'cognoscenti'!

(BTW, the new site is GREAT, I might add!)

'Save the Wave!'

ajaxajax2000 08-31-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FU2
I saved it in Microsoft Photo Editor and enlarged and sharpened it.

The article basicly states that the best target for modification on the 93-95 exhaust system is the muffler. And that the cat's are a minor contributor to the back pressure , the resonator is the least restrictive.

A couple of questions with ref to Marc Haibecks study and analysis:

1 Would you say these results apply to a 92 ZR-1 as well?

2 Do the quoted results mean that the best you can do is to replace the muffler(s) with open 3" tubes?

3 If so - does it require any other actions (air/fuel ratio etc)?

4 Or else - what is best to do (on the exhaust system) for maximum hp increase (and a sound worthy of the Beast)?

Peter :confused:

BBBAD94ZR1 09-19-2006 07:50 PM

I went with the b@b
RAY

Aurora40 09-23-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaxajax2000
A couple of questions with ref to Marc Haibecks study and analysis:

1 Would you say these results apply to a 92 ZR-1 as well?

2 Do the quoted results mean that the best you can do is to replace the muffler(s) with open 3" tubes?

3 If so - does it require any other actions (air/fuel ratio etc)?

4 Or else - what is best to do (on the exhaust system) for maximum hp increase (and a sound worthy of the Beast)?

Peter :confused:

1) I wouldn't think so. The 90-92 resonator is considerably narrower than the 93+ one.

2) The resonator isn't 3" tubes and it wasn't a big restriction, so I'm not sure that's the only conclusion one could draw. In fact none of the system is 3".

3) On a stock car I think you wouldn't need to do anything if you didn't want to.

4) Best is highly subjective. I imagine there are several possibilities that will result in the same performance but a different look, sound, cost, etc.

FU 10-20-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FU2
B&B with the resinator.
Your opinion may vary.

Took the B&B system off. Put the Corsa system back on. I love it. No bean can fart sound either. Must be the extra inch's.

rkreigh 10-20-2006 06:41 PM

the best sounding zr1 exh for me was my 95 (near stock) which had headers and the flowmaster. that being said, the B&B is better performing but a bit too agressive for most (including me at times)

I went with the B&B and x pipe and the random SS cats which do mellow it out a bit and man does it roar.

but the cheap and "not so high flow" flowmaster still had the deep tone without being too loud. car sounded great. I also had a desert development which was cool too.

try this. take a stock 2.5 exh, cut out the resonator, put in the X pipe and add some 2.5 magnaflow muffs. I think you will be pleased and it's not too expensive either.

for strokers, the B&B is pretty tough to beat for HP, use the X pipe, but be prepared, it's LOUD!!!

Z Factor 10-20-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkreigh
the best sounding zr1 exh for me was my 95 (near stock) which had headers and the flowmaster. that being said, the B&B is better performing but a bit too agressive for most (including me at times)

I went with the B&B and x pipe and the random SS cats which do mellow it out a bit and man does it roar.

but the cheap and "not so high flow" flowmaster still had the deep tone without being too loud. car sounded great. I also had a desert development which was cool too.

try this. take a stock 2.5 exh, cut out the resonator, put in the X pipe and add some 2.5 magnaflow muffs. I think you will be pleased and it's not too expensive either.

for strokers, the B&B is pretty tough to beat for HP, use the X pipe, but be prepared, it's LOUD!!!

Good synopsis on the different systems.:thumbsup:

I've heard most of the systems with the exception of the DD, and from a price to sound ratio Flowmaster is hard to beat. I do however love my B&B with X-pipe and no cats, though I don't drive it for long periods of time.:mrgreen:

:cheers:

jonszr1 12-06-2006 10:59 PM

Has anyone tried using that X resonator from magnaflow. It would be very cool if one could have an xpipe that didn't make you eat asprin after an hr.:mrgreen:

LeoLily 12-07-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I'd be interested to hear a sound clip of the newer B&B's.

Our B&Bs were installed a month ago. How do I create a sound clip? :confused:

LeoLily 12-07-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBAD94ZR1
Thanks you guys are great. My friend Rick as a 94 z with the bnb system on it.
I will check his out before I buy it. I want the car to sound as mean as it
looks.
Well thanks again.
Ray:thumbsup:

Ah - but the meanest sound is the Desert Development (if you can find one...) We had B&Bs put on as part of the rear-end repair until we can fix our Desert mufflers and put them back where they belong on our baby. :pray

My father-in-law had the DDs installed when our car was about 2 yrs old. One of his friends heard them "from at least 1/2 mile away" and had to buy a set himself. The resonation is high and you can "feel" it in the base of your skull at approx 2300 rpm BUT - they are the deepest, throatiest sound I have ever heard. The DDs are the reason my husband drooled over the ZR-1 for over 15 years (til we got if from the FIL a year ago August). :handshak:

WB9MCW 12-07-2006 09:48 PM

LEOLILY TO MAKE A RECORDING...click on START,PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES,ENTERTAINMENT,SOUND RECORDER...IF YA HAVE A LAP TOP AND A MIC UR ALL SET.... STORE IT AS A WAV FILE AND POST IT AT http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-fi...ing.php?sort=1 AND COPY/PASTE THE "http" LINK HERE so we can go hear it!!!

it might be easier to just use a vid cam and post in on u tube...lol

Usa1-Zr1 12-08-2006 01:59 PM

B&B for me with their X-pipe Looks=D> http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...1/HPIM2036.jpg

pete hogan 12-09-2006 05:20 PM

My 1990 had Power effects on when I bought it. Resonance made the car virtually undriveable (it sounded good though) I now have Jeal headers and the corsa fitted and I LOVE it.

Pete H.

WB9MCW 12-09-2006 08:20 PM

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum always good to see the ZR-1 guys from "over the pond" commenting here. I go by ZR-1 Chicago when I post on corvette chat upon occasion.

Z Factor 12-10-2006 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete hogan
My 1990 had Power effects on when I bought it. Resonance made the car virtually undriveable (it sounded good though) I now have Jeal headers and the corsa fitted and I LOVE it.

Pete H.

Hello Pete and welcome to the forum.:handshak:

If you have not listed your ZR-1's location in this thread you may wish to do so. It seems we have a decent amount of KOTH owners in Europe.:thumbsup:

http://zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009

HADI-ZR1 12-10-2006 04:49 AM

my rear zr1 with B&B system.:thumbsup:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...9052006007.jpg

Lowflight 03-19-2007 08:42 PM

I prefer the look of my B&B on my 91...but I prefer the sound of my Borla on my 92 by a thin margin.

ArcticZR1 03-19-2007 08:43 PM

I was at a car show this weekend and the vette behind me cranked up and it sounded unreal. I new it had to be a B&B but I asked anyway...it was. Ten minutes later I was ordeing a B&B with an X-pipe...can't wait for it to arrive! It was a toss up between the B&B and Corsa. I got the whole system brand new for $970 shipped to my house...is that good with the X pipe? :icon_scra

blackjack 03-20-2007 12:55 PM

i have the borla mufflers,with the resonator removed,replaced it with an x pipe,and i removed the infamous restriction inside the borla tubes...felt a difference in performance,and the sound is very reasonable;could even be louder,i wouldnt mind:) didnt notice any resonance...maybe because i had a"65 vette with a 396,and sidepipes...now thats resonance !!
bj
91/1735

GrayZ 03-20-2007 06:54 PM

I actually read this entire thread today...please pray for me,
as i have no life..and am a boring bastard.
That being said,

Corsa....looks..sound...(with headers) is music to me,
sounds like a race car..
people ask me, what The f-ck you got in that thing? :mrgreen:

jonszr1 04-26-2007 05:15 PM

when they ask that give them the alice in wonder land cat grin and say aBIG one:mrgreen:

4cefed 04-26-2007 05:21 PM

You will love the sound. Thats the combo I have on my car.
Joel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticZR1
I was at a car show this weekend and the vette behind me cranked up and it sounded unreal. I new it had to be a B&B but I asked anyway...it was. Ten minutes later I was ordeing a B&B with an X-pipe...can't wait for it to arrive! It was a toss up between the B&B and Corsa. I got the whole system brand new for $970 shipped to my house...is that good with the X pipe? :icon_scra

11.72@119.26 04-26-2007 06:24 PM

I have watson headers x pipe in place of resonator w/ flowmasters. love the sound, also very easy to find the sweet spot of rumble or quiet depending on choosing 5th or 6th gear. I just wish they looked as good as the B&B's. I also have electric cut outs if I want to really raise hell!

11.72@119.26 04-26-2007 06:30 PM

would love to buy a used set of B&B mufflers only, I have too much invested in x pipe & electric cut outs & B&B won't sell mufflers only!

Locobob 04-27-2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11.72@119.26
would love to buy a used set of B&B mufflers only, I have too much invested in x pipe & electric cut outs & B&B won't sell mufflers only!

I can hook you up with some used B&B mufflers very soon, got some custom exhaust work planned next month.

RHanselman 04-27-2007 01:57 AM

I've had:

Stock
B&B
B&B with headers
Corsa
Desert Development

I like:
Corsa inside the car
B&B wt headers outside the car and on the track

My turbo car won't have mufflers, wonder what that's going to be like...:wink:

11.72@119.26 04-27-2007 12:03 PM

Robert,
What do you have planned? Let me know how much you want for them, how old are they and the condition.
Thanks,
Tracy

Locobob 04-30-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Robert,
What do you have planned? Let me know how much you want for them, how old are they and the condition.
Thanks,
Tracy

I'm doing a custom setup involving Supertrapp mufflers. The B&B's were put on in the late 90's I think. Currently they have 4in Supertrapp disc only mufflers for tail pipes - you can run wide open (loud!) or add discs to mellow out the exhaust note. Also have the original squared/oval B&B tips. I can send you some pics via email if you like. I'll take $100 plus shipping for the mufflers.

TeK_NoiR 05-02-2007 08:52 PM

Does anybody have additional soundfiles or videos of Corsa,Power Effects or B&B ?

Surely the best would be a reality check, but I only know the real time sound of B&B - like it very much.

But Corsa could be also very interesting. As far as I heard it is a heavy tinny racing-like clang. B&B however seems to sound more V8 vibrant and Power Effects a middle thing of these two.

GrayZ 05-11-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeK_NoiR
Does anybody have additional soundfiles or videos of Corsa,Power Effects or B&B ?

Surely the best would be a reality check, but I only know the real time sound of B&B - like it very much.

But Corsa could be also very interesting. As far as I heard it is a heavy tinny racing-like clang. B&B however seems to sound more V8 vibrant and Power Effects a middle thing of these two.

Many agree, the B & B sound very healthy, but the resonance is terrible.
Here's my car, with Watson Headers, and Corsa, it sound tinny?

me on the right

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Videos/MVI_9158.Avi

ROGER E 06-23-2007 11:49 AM

OK...B&B it is. I have a 91 which had a Borla exhaust with SS tubing when I purchased the car. Was this stock? Where do I get the B&B system? Any part numbers?

Thanks for any help!

Z Factor 06-26-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROGER E
OK...B&B it is. I have a 91 which had a Borla exhaust with SS tubing when I purchased the car. Was this stock? Where do I get the B&B system? Any part numbers?

Thanks for any help!

I didn't see your post Roger as many people know a vote updates the thread and don't always check.

As you might imagine the Borla is not stock. If you want a B&B system there are different vendors that carry it. Personally I got mine from T Byrne Motorsports when they had a group purchase going. There regular price is nothing special, but check with them to see when their next special will be.

http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/

Otherwise just look for different vendors that carry it to compare prices.

HIZNHRZ 07-29-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Find me a set of Corsa mufflers only and I'll trade you a vertually brand new set of B&B mufflers. I want to try reducing the B&B 3" down to 2.5" just before the mufflers and stick the Corsa mufflers in place of the B&B Triflow.

I want to see if I can kill the resonance.

HIZNHRZ 07-29-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Find me a set of Corsa mufflers only (and they have to be in excellent shape) and I'll trade you a vertually brand new set of B&B mufflers. I want to try reducing the B&B 3" down to 2.5" just before the mufflers and stick the Corsa mufflers in place of the B&B Triflow.

I want to see if I can kill the resonance.

jonszr1 10-11-2007 05:37 AM

you might want to try that xpipe muf/resonator . I went 3in to it and 21/2 after with spin tec mufflers /dual outlets. at the drag strip this was worth .15-.19 and almost 2 mph over the stk flowmaster setup

zr1don 11-03-2007 12:54 AM

Flowmasters without a doubt!!!

bradslt5 11-27-2007 04:17 AM

I have a ? on the desert development exhaust . i have aquired a fire damaged car thats supposed to have one on it was it 3in and di it have an x pipe in the system? what type of mufflers were they as they have what looks like almost stk tips (90-91) on them?