ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cleaning and Waxing (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Engine Cleaning (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10039)

QB93Z 10-23-2009 03:13 PM

Re: Engine Cleaning

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRGator (Post 73339)
About those areas you still need to work on....think Q-tips...and then maybe you too can try for NCRS Top Flight, a goal I know you wish to achieve...yeah, right;)

Gator, I agree, I need to keep Q-Tips in the garage. As far as NCRS goes, I think it is a great program, but during my time in the Navy, I spent way too many hours having inspectors inspect my submarine. I don't want to do it any more.

As an aside, for those of you that know me, the idea of me giving advice on how to clean an engine compartment is pretty funny. I guess I was desperate. If you hear me start talking about cleaning the bottom of a ZR-1 it will be time for an intervention.

Jim

Dylan@Adams 10-23-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB93Z (Post 73360)
Thanks for the info. I grabbed the Swiel & Haze Remover off my shelf and started. Are you saying that the Revive Polish would be a little more aggresive than the S&HR? I know that both are non-abrasive but I would like to use the one that will work the best on the engine surfaces.

Jim

Actually the opposite, Revive is less aggressive, but its really comparing apples and oranges. Revive is a cleaner/surface prep type polish, SHR is a swirl remover/more traditional polish.

The reason I'd suggest Revive is that its properties lend itself better to the removal of 'stains' or discoloration from embedded contamination. Ideally you'd start with SHR and then finish with Revive to get the best of both... thats how the system was designed.

In any event it looks like you got excellent results with just the SHR, I was just offering a possible alternative to those in the audience :D

QB93Z 10-23-2009 05:03 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I will give the Revive Polish a try now that I have completed Step 1.

Jim

Rex Ruby 10-25-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams (Post 73186)
Typically most newer engine bays are fairly safe to take a very light mist with the hose, but I have heard the early 90-ish vettes don't like water too much.

Dylan, you need to do some research so you know what's up with C4 Corvette engines. Any kind of washing on an LT5 or LT1 will be detrimental to engine componets. The LT5 had a problematic paint finish applied to it that requires special attention or you can end up making it worse looking than just some dirt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB93Z (Post 73261)
When I bought my yellow 1994 ZR-1 last May the engine was very stained with splotches of water or cleaner staining, and streaks on the cam covers from seepage of oil or water . The car has 94,000 miles on it and the stains could be just age but they were a major appearance distractor.

I was afraid that the only way to make it look better was to remove the plenum, throttle body, coolant tubes, and cam covers and get they powder coated.

Since I had nothing to lose, I decided to try to clean the engine and see what happened. I figured that since the engine is painted, I would treat it as if it was a stained hood or fender. My plan was to try car polish and then try wet sanding.

I started with Simple Green cleaner and it didn't remove any stains.

Next I used Adams Swirl and Haze Remover with a micro-fiber cloth. I put a few drops of the Swirl and Haze Remover on a cloth and with one finger I rubbed the painted portions of the engine working on a small area at a time. When the cloth became black from removing grime, I "rinsed" the area with Simple Green and polished with a clean micro-fiber cloth. And repeat as necessary. And repeat! And repeat!!!!!!

It took me six hours to do the whole engine.

The results were very satisfying. I removed almost all of the staining and the surfaces have a nice shiney, well care-for look.
The finish color may be slightly darker than original, but it is not too bad.

Jim

Jim, That is outstanding. Makes sense since paint is paint! Added this to my to do list:cheers:

Dylan@Adams 10-26-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Ruby (Post 73504)
Dylan, you need to do some research so you know what's up with C4 Corvette engines. Any kind of washing on an LT5 or LT1 will be detrimental to engine componets. The LT5 had a problematic paint finish applied to it that requires special attention or you can end up making it worse looking than just some dirt.

and thus the reason I stated this in the quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams
I have heard the early 90-ish vettes don't like water too much

I've been professionally detailing for over 13 years now, but any LT1/LT5 vettes I have had the privilege of touching have either been pristine under the hood and required no work or were only dirty enough to require a little detail spray and microfiber to come clean, then controlled APC for any areas that needed degreasing.

As with any "sensitive paint" it will be susceptible to staining, discoloration, or worse if harsh chemicals are used for cleaning. This is the reason I suggested that even if the engine compartment were VERY dirty he use a highly diluted mixture of APC in a spray in order to control what got wet and what didn't. Trust me, I don't go around telling people with potentially problematic areas of their car to grab the hose and the harshest chemical they can find and apply with an SOS pad... if I had no clue what I was talking about I'd have been run out of business a loooooong time ago.

xlr8nflorida 11-19-2009 12:11 AM

I use Toothpaste and distilled water.

Cleans my LT-5 right up and it smells minty fresh :mrgreen:

Then I hand dry it with towel and leaf blower to be safe.

QB93Z 11-19-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida (Post 74912)
I use Toothpaste and distilled water.

Cleans my LT-5 right up and it smells minty fresh :mrgreen:

Then I hand dry it with towel and leaf blower to be safe.

I thought about tooth paste for trying to clean the engine. I figured that it would be less "aggressive" than the Swirl and Haze Remover. I had some fairly bad stains to remove.

Jim

Jason 91 11-21-2009 02:58 PM

The engine looks great! Thanks for the tips. I will be purchasing these products shortly to give this a try.

Thanks,

Jason

QB93Z 11-23-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 91 (Post 75069)
The engine looks great! Thanks for the tips. I will be purchasing these products shortly to give this a try.

Thanks,

Jason

When I did my engine, it took me about six hours. I removed both front wheels to be able to stand closer to the engine. But, bending over for that long ruined my back and it took about a week to get to where I could move comfortably again. So be careful and take stretching breaks.

Jim

Kevin 11-23-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB93Z (Post 75348)
When I did my engine, it took me about six hours. I removed both front wheels to be able to stand closer to the engine. But, bending over for that long ruined my back and it took about a week to get to where I could move comfortably again. So be careful and take stretching breaks.

Jim

next time leave the wheels on and sit on them