ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-26-2017   #1
Flyman 27

Default Drill a hole in your engine block???

I had the problem with an intermittent no-start condition. After a few days of trouble shooting I figured out that it was the starter itself. So I was well on my way to my first plenum pull and did quite a bit of searching online to see what I could find.

I found a GM Service Bulletin #92-307-6 (09/21/1992) that describes the starter fail and what the GM recommendations are to the Dealers. Obviously they recommend replacing the starter with the corroded Solenoid and say that the problem was caused by insufficient drainage in the "Vee" area of the block (where the starter resides). My drain was plugged solid.

The Bulletin recommends cleaning out the valley drain and also recommends drilling a 3/8" diameter hole in the valley at the rear of the block to add additional/necessary drainage.
It took me awhile to adjust to the idea of drilling a hole in my lt5 engine block, it seemed kinda gutsy.
BUT, I had no luck in cleaning out the OEM drain, no matter what I tried, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, degreaser, etc. Nothing would loosen the clog and it was hard as a rock, I couldn't poke anything through it no matter how I tried. I was able to drill out the clog up to the 90 degree turn, but that was it.

So, I drilled the hole to the dimensions in the SB and it worked great without hitting anything unintended. So the service bulletin was correct and it did work.

If you suffer a starter fail, maybe you should consider the same?

You can do your own search online for "GM Service Bulletin #92-307-6" it is fairly easy to find. So you can verify it yourself.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete

Last edited by Flyman 27; 07-17-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Drill a hole in your engine block???

I just don't get it wet, I know my 91 has a tube at the rear that exits over the bell housing. I would think a piece of copper wire hooked to a drill would clean it out.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #3
BigIke

Great thread! Thanks flyman

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #4
tpr60

Use an old inner speedo cable on a drill to clean out the tube. Every oil change blow compress air up the tube from under the car to keep it cleared out.
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #5
Flyman 27

I guess my main point here is that back in '92, GM said that the single 5/16" drain is insufficient for the job. They recommended cleaning out the 5/16" drain AND adding the 3/8" drain hole to help the drainage problem.
Iv'e read a lot about the starter problems here but have not read about adding the drainage hole, even tho it was recommended to Dealers by GM way back in '92.
Just sayin, if you have to do the job, maybe you should follow GM's recommendations on how to fix the known problem.

Dan

Cams by Pete
Old 09-27-2017   #6
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
I guess my main point here is that back in '92, GM said that the single 5/16" drain is insufficient for the job. They recommended cleaning out the 5/16" drain AND adding the 3/8" drain hole to help the drainage problem.
Iv'e read a lot about the starter problems here but have not read about adding the drainage hole, even tho it was recommended to Dealers by GM way back in '92.
Just sayin, if you have to do the job, maybe you should follow GM's recommendations on how to fix the known problem.

Dan
It sounds like a worthwhile mod, to do while you're in there, even if the original hole is clear. Thanks for sharing (of course, I'll never remember this until right after the next time I put the plenum back on).
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

NOT to steal the thread, but while you have your drill out, drilling and plugging the rear differential - i.e., adding a drain hole - is also a VERY worthwhile project....Just sayin! See Marc's(?) web site for specific details.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018   #8
Hib Halverson

Paul is right, while you got your drill out, put a drain plug in your drive axle. When I had my '95, I used Marc's instructions to do that to mine. Made my life a lot easier when it came to axle lube changes, which I did every 3-years.

As for the block drain, my 95's engine had the big drain. Apparently, that was a change GM made after it discovered problems with debris plugging the smaller hole.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #9
jss06c6

Guys,

My top end is out for porting.. just wanted to know, where is the 3/8" hole to be drilled? My drain tube is clear on my '91, but I'm game for improvement!

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

Last edited by jss06c6; 07-17-2018 at 07:23 AM.
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #10
Flyman 27

I can't post you a link here so,

You can do your own search online for "GM Service Bulletin #92-307-6" it is fairly easy to find. Verify it yourself.

Cams by Pete