ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-09-2015   #1
JimZRyd

Default Upper control arm shims

Hey guys! Ok, I am in the process of changing out my oem rubber bushings with poly and tonight I removed one of my upper control arms, but failed to even think about the shims until they rained down on my garage floor. Won't make that mistake again.

Can someone tell me what the OEM arrangement of shims for the right upper control arm for a 94 Z? Or maybe just snap a picture of yours where I could see how many are on each bolt? I would think they all should be the same as when they left the factory unless anyone's played with their settings for camber and caster. Or, could these be different Z to Z?

Thanks in advance!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015   #2
Coupe89

Default Re: Upper control arm shims

You need to take it to an alignment shop even with the new bushing....
1990 ZR-1 #642
Coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #3
WVZR-1

Since you're doing bushings and needing an alignment after the bushing replacement use the shim stack that matches the left side as closely as you can. The shim stack is going to change car to car so that should get you together for the trip to the alignment shop. The stack car to car can change, sometimes substantially.

If you're doing these bushings yourself make sure you understand the proper replacement and the support procedure required to avoid damaging the control arm. If you're considering a "for hire" of the bushing replacement make sure the shop understands - MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND - STRESS the UNDERSTANDING of the SUPPORTING PROCEDURE.

Since the shims are now loose you might take a shim sample to the alignment shop you have in mind to make sure they have the appropriate shims that are going to be required. Not all might have them, as silly as that sounds it's very likely that they might not.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-10-2015 at 04:05 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #4
JimZRyd

Thanks! I knew an alignment would be needed and is already planned. Just can't believe I paid no attention to the shims before they fell out. It'll be going to a Corvette shop for the alignment. Don't trust the dealership with anything!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #5
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
Thanks! I knew an alignment would be needed and is already planned. Just can't believe I paid no attention to the shims before they fell out. It'll be going to a Corvette shop for the alignment. Don't trust the dealership with anything!
You could maybe be placing "to much faith" in Corvette shop. I'd maybe be shopping for an experienced alignment shop. I don't know that many "Corvette shops" are any more reliable than the dealership you trust with NOTHING.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote