ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-27-2015   #1
Billy Mild

Default Refurbing a set of wheels

What is the preferred method of restoring a set of wheels, paint or powdercoat? I'm torn as to which method would be best. Paint has some pro's as it is cheap, and easy to do. Powdercoating needs to be done by a professional.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: Refurbing a set of wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
What is the preferred method of restoring a set of wheels, paint or powdercoat? I'm torn as to which method would be best. Paint has some pro's as it is cheap, and easy to do. Powdercoating needs to be done by a professional.
I believe that the finish is more controlled with a solvent based product and sprayed. PC is kind of "what you get is what you got" and also I believe a solvent based product would be much easier to match if the need arises.

I don't believe you could class a solvent based sprayed finish as "CHEAP" or even cheaper than PC.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #3
GOLDCYLON

PC as its more resistant to chips than paint.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #4
efnfast

I'd powder coat. As GC said, much tougher than paint.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #5
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
PC as its more resistant to chips than paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I'd powder coat. As GC said, much tougher than paint.
I believe that tougher could be debated. Yes it's "generally assumed". Always? It would depend upon the quality of the product and of course the prep etc.

I've had several wheels done by "Ye Ole Wheel Shop" and all were painted. I had a couple sets done by other wheel refinishers/repair facilities and both times it was suggested by them to do paint. Both of them offer PC or paint.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-29-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2015   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

IMHO, I think it depends on the design and material of the wheel. I have PC'd my factory 90 wheels and CCW Classic centers, but painted my Dymags by Ye Ole Wheel (awesome work by the way). When I took my 90 wheels to get PC'd, the company was not sure if it was a good candidate for PC. They told me they would blast and bake first to see what kind of outgassing reaction before commitment (I liked that). Once that was done they determined no problem and I did the prep work of special heat tape (green) to save on labor as it was very tedious for that wheel since I wanted to keep the lip uncoated. For my CCW 3 piece wheel it was easy to separate and PC the center piece so I did that for durability as mentioned by others (6 years later still looks like new). For the Dymag I had no choice due to the magnesium material and outgassing so it was painted. It has proven pretty durable, but the design of the wheel with deep set lugs, I did make a chip around a lug nut quite easily with the lock key for the type of lug used (will change). I think PC would not have chipped so easily (just my guess). If I were doing my A molds I would ship to Ye Ole Wheel Shop and have them painted. Just sharing my experience and nothing more. Best wishes in your wheel refurb.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #7
Billy Mild

I bought emmevette's a molds that were for sale. They are in rough shape that need to be sandblasted then either painted or powder coated. I would like to have the centers be a gloss black and the lip raw aluminum like the Grand Sport wheels are.
Old 08-30-2015   #8
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I bought emmevette's a molds that were for sale. They are in rough shape that need to be sandblasted then either painted or powder coated. I would like to have the centers be a gloss black and the lip raw aluminum like the Grand Sport wheels are.
NO TO THE SANDBLASTING you might seek some local advice from a refinisher/repair facility. A professional restoration would include the machining of the flange of "ALL FOUR" wheels so that when on the car you have a matched set of four. There's no short-cut to this.

Talk to a few and base your decision based on the conversations.

Just be sure to have the wheels spun and checked for being true before you start and mark the wheels in some fashion so that you can ID them when they're returned to you. Your location I'd think should offer you several facilities that can accomplish it. Check with the "higher end dealers" and see who they use for their customers BUT talk to a few. Look at some of their work.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-30-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2015   #9
Billy Mild

Sandblasting or Sodablasting something that won't hurt the aluminum.