ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-31-2015   #51
Fully Vetted

Default Re: LT5 engine upgrade question

I put 430 down to the wheels before I put on the Corsa. I haven't redynoed but if I lost 12hp I'm ok with that. I was damn near deaf on my first trip to BG with my old exhaust and I couldn't even use the radio because of the drone. Everything is peachy with my Corsa and I can still keep up with most things on the road so it works. For me, anyway.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #52
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995BLACKZR1 View Post
Lol. Yeah the car is legit. It's got what looks like an LT5 engine, engine valet key, ride control switch and the tail is wider than the standard C4. Obviously more horsepower and rumble than my standard 95. Maybe the exhaust place told him that.
I had the Borla cat-back on my otherwise stock 90 ZR-1. Comparing my dyno results to other stock LT5s, I'd have to contest that HP claim, on that (dyno) basis alone.

I didn't loose any performance vs. stock numbers compared to results others have posted. But, I sure as hell didn't gain any 50-60 hp performance boost as result of the Borla!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-01-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #53
SAM/CH ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Here's food for thought c6 ZO6 (430-450rwhp),C6 ZR1 (530-550rwhp) they come with 3" exhaust. If GM can make the same power with 2" or 2 1/2" why would they spend extra money on 3" and save some weight.

Enjoy
Pete
Because the C6 Z06 has a 427 displacement and the C6 ZR1 a compressor. That requires a bigger exhaust system.

I did the experience that 350 cui engines loose some low end torque with headers and a open 3 Inch exhausts.

Sam

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui

Last edited by SAM/CH ZR-1; 08-01-2015 at 11:20 AM.
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #54
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I had the Borla cat-back on my otherwise stock 90 ZR-1. Comparing my dyno results to other stock LT5s, I'd have to contest that HP claim, on that (dyno) basis alone.

I didn't loose any performance vs. stock numbers compared to results others have posted. But, I sure as hell didn't gain any 50-60 hp performance boost as result of the Borla!
Borla, although one of the sweetest sounding aftermarket exhausts for the LT5, is one of the worst if you're looking for performance improvement.
I installed the Borla "so called" 2 3/4" system in 1995. Sounded great, but no real improvement.
It wasn't until I went with the B&B, with headers and no cats that the car really woke up.

Light, single mass flywheel, and 3" inch exhaust. They sure do help the stock LT5,.....but the Fing PAIN..

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #55
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM/CH ZR-1 View Post
Because the C6 Z06 has a 427 displacement and the C6 ZR1 a compressor. That requires a bigger exhaust system.

I did the experience that 350 cui engines loose some low end torque with headers and a open 3 Inch exhausts.

Sam
Sam,

Did you update the tune to optimize for the difference in backpressure?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote