ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-30-2015   #41
rkreigh

Default Re: The better looking derrière?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
When the C4 was introduced I was slow to appreciate its styling & beauty. When the C5 was introduced I was again very slow to appreciate it ... even thought it a bit ugly.

I now have a C4 ZR-1 and a C5 ZO6 and don't wish to part with either of them. I like & appreciate both.

But when the C7 was introduced I was instantly smitten ... I would really like to add one to the collection.
I perked up the c5 styling a bit with a tiger shark front and chin spoiler and a specter werkes rear with the small moulded in duck tail spoiler

the tiger shark rear was too much for me.

the c5 is a very stiff car in comparison to the ZR-1. The LSV has tortured the c4 frame and I run with an r&d race bar as I think it's stiffer that way than with the top and plus I like the top off
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #42
Bob Eyres

Wow, those pix on the previous page really tell the tale don't they? The latest and greatest doesn't look so hot compared to a real "Classic" design.

All those design elements on the C4 ZR-1, from as far back as the fifties, simply and seamlessly integrated into a gorgeous machine.
The C7 is a technological tour de force, but I'll never get used to the wrapper.

Way too "Star Wars" for this old boy.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #43
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
Wow, those pix on the previous page really tell the tale don't they? The latest and greatest doesn't look so hot compared to a real "Classic" design.

All those design elements on the C4 ZR-1, from as far back as the fifties, simply and seamlessly integrated into a gorgeous machine.
The C7 is a technological tour de force, but I'll never get used to the wrapper.

Way too "Star Wars" for this old boy.
I am a proponent of form follows function, so when I see a design that maximizes a practical element, to me there is a beauty in that.
However, IMO the Italians are unsurpassed in being able to achieve both.
The C4 is a coherent, singular design which is why I have often stated that it is the "Last designer Corvette" in the tradition of Shinoda et al.
Cafaro did a lovely job w that design and filed down many of the sharp edges from the C3 into a more fluid body. The new C7 is back to emphasizing those edges almost w a vengence. It is striking and makes an impact. I thought the C5 in particular went too far in smoothing some of the "edginess" until it was more of a blob with little in the way of character lines.
Probably why I like the C5Z the best of that gen.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #44
Mystic ZR-1

C4s have the "cleanest" lines of all the Corvettes made to date...
Each generation represents the "styling thoughts" of their era.
IMHO: 84-89 are the the best... 91+ C4s started to get "swoopy", with
the body colored rub strip and the rounded front and rear ends taking away from
the neat and non-cluttered lines.
The 90 ZR-1 does probably look better with the wide rounded rear and
black rub strip than it would if they widened the chopped off one like on
the regular cars?
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #45
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Try as I might, I can't seem to warm up to the C7 lines.

It is "over the top", gone to far, and lots of cross similarities with other cars, including the Camaro, and even some Japanese cars makes one wonder if it is a trend setter, or a trend follower "me too!!" design.

I'm going with "me too" taken to an extreme: a design theme on steroids, I guess. It kinda reminds me of the "Transformer" car toys that were so popular with pre-teens, some years ago.

The '63 SWC was and still IS a stunningly beautiful design; unique, elegant, and timeless beauty. I don't "feel" any of that with the C7 (yet). Maybe I'll eventually warm up to it - kind of like "Stockholm Syndrome".

I'm not surprised an Italian would be head over heals with the C7. I mean look at some of the those designs, e.g., the Lambos COUNTACH, Ferrari and so many more, equally "in your face" styling for styling sake.

Waxers and Warriors.... I'm a WARRIOR and am more impressed with performance than all that "way out there" styling that looks something right up a Grand Sport owners alley, or like a college art project or 'concept car' genned up as part of somone's final exam. And, as a WARRIOR, the rampant over heating issues (albeit on the track) of the ZO6 due to whatever engineering oversight or lack there of there was, it is a serious black eye the Powertrain boys, and the pressure is on and they had better solve iy and quick; NO BANDAIDS allowed!! (Right now, accounts of GM's willingness to buy back some irate customer's cars and replace them with other models - or the like. This is just the tip of the iceberg of a major flaw that was at least partially rooted with the bean counters.) Don't expect to see the C7 Z06 attempting to break the FIA endurance record (or even match the ZR-1, for that matter) any time soon.

Ah...sorry to crash the C7 styling group fest. But, IMO, Corvette has to have everything going for it; not just looks. In my Navy days, there was an old saying that really cut across the grain of a weapons system techs like me (among others); "Work it may, but shine it must!" The Z06's issues reminds me of that phrase...and the knot in the gut it always gave me.

Well... I guess I (we) get spoiled by the robustness of our ZR-1s and the LT5, no?

YMMV

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-04-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #46
Blue Flame Restorations

The C7 rear facia just needs a re-design and I'd warm up to it. Still can't warm up to it as it sits.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #47
KILLSHOTS

I didn't like the rear at first, either. The first time I saw the rear facia painted body-color, it helped me to start getting past it. I've heard that GM is going to make this an option at some point soon. For many who don't like the rear end design, this change seems to soften the overall effect quite a bit. I've grown used to it and don't plan on painting mine.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #48
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
I didn't like the rear at first, either. The first time I saw the rear facia painted body-color, it helped me to start getting past it. I've heard that GM is going to make this an option at some point soon. For many who don't like the rear end design, this change seems to soften the overall effect quite a bit. I've grown used to it and don't plan on painting mine.
I agree! I read an article that one of the C7 group's goals was to appeal to a new generation of Corvette enthusiast home and abroad. Interesting to note that some 30% of 2015 MY buyers are first-time Corvette owners. That's not to say some of those aren't 40-70 somethings, but the stat does seem to coincide with the number of "younger looking girls and guys" enjoying the car. What's good for Corvette is good for NCM and for all Corvette enthusiast.

I won't sell my ZR-1 for a C7, but I'll gladly add one to my garage when the opportunity presents. I expect it will become more appealing as the MYs progress - 2016 or 17 may be the tempting years!
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #49
XfireZ51

I would body color the bezels around the tail lights.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #50
Johnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
I'd only want the C7Z. Kinda partial to the wide bodies! Even with the C6, the base model just doesn't do it for me. The wide bodies look so much better!
I agree the C6 is too plain looking but the Z06 or even grand sport is something id consider buying in future. Id still keep my ZR1! Ive been hearing c7 has quite a bit of problems
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote